Batt Over Loose Insulation - Insulation - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By derekvw91
  • 1 Post By Bud9051

Old 11-12-2016, 08:46 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 34

Batt over Loose Insulation

I'm in the process of air sealing my attic, and I'm wondering if I can use batt insulation over loose insulation. My joist cavities are completely filled with loose insulation. I have a ton of 24" wide batts from tearing out improperly installed insulation that was on the underside of my roof decking. Could I lay this perpendicular to my ceiling joists? Most everything I've read has said to do loose over batt, but I'm trying to not have to cut my insulation into 16" segments if possible.
derekvw91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2016, 09:21 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 306

Re: Batt over Loose Insulation

Shouldn't be a problem as long as there is no facing on those batts. Batts and loose insulation have a similar r-value per inch, about 3.5 per inch, so your end result will be based upon the total depth.

LOL, I,ve seen some that look like a patchwork quilt, but as long as they are neat, no holes and gaps, it works just fine.

Air sealing Is Good!

Bud
Bud9051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2016, 09:38 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud9051 View Post
Air sealing Is Good!
I sure hope so! lol. I'm about wanting to shoot myself crawling all over the place sealing everything up.
Dave Sal likes this.
derekvw91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2016, 09:57 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 306

As they have learned over time, air leakage and air flow are key contributors to heat exchange and moisture movement, and, other than being a pain, air sealing is one of the easiest upgrades with the highest payback. I guess easy would be better applied to new construction than a retrofit.

In case you haven't run into this link, here is some reading while you rest.
https://www.energystar.gov/ia/partne...ide_062507.pdf

Best
Bud
Windows on Wash likes this.
Bud9051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 09:48 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 32

In about 1982 I decided that I was using way too much natural gas to heat my home so I went in the attic to check out the insulation. I bought the house new in 1980 and found that the builder used as little blown in fiberglass insulation as he could get away with. I decided to add R19 rolls perpendicular to the joists. My heating bill dropped in half the following winter. That was probably the best money I ever spent on this house. Many years later I read about the importance of insulating the attic hatch too, so I went out and bought some R10 rigid foam board and made up an R30 hatch.
Attached Thumbnails
Batt over Loose Insulation-img_2401.jpg   Batt over Loose Insulation-img_2398.jpg   Batt over Loose Insulation-img_2393.jpg  
Dave Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement