Basement Pipe Condensation - Insulation - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-21-2013, 11:40 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Basement pipe condensation

Hello,
I'm not sure if this is the right section to post this in but I have some condensation on a large drainage pipe in my basement. The pipe comes into my basement from a gutter outside. My basement is warmer right now than the cold air and rain outside. Will pipe insulation fix something like this? And do they make pipe insulation for pipes this size? (About 3-4 inches in diameter.) I'm not very experienced with this stuff, but I try.
kwickett85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2013, 11:52 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 6,652

Simple law of physics. You could wrap it in the insulation, that they use for the large boiler stem pipes that are that sizeif you want to.

Now of course the million dollar question is, why is your downspouts draining I to the house, possibly in to the public sewer or septic if your are not on public sewer.

Downspouts need to drain out into the yard, not in to your septic, sewer or sump well.

gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
audrycampbell (12-27-2013), joecaption (12-22-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2013, 10:26 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
Simple law of physics. You could wrap it in the insulation, that they use for the large boiler stem pipes that are that sizeif you want to.

Now of course the million dollar question is, why is your downspouts draining I to the house, possibly in to the public sewer or septic if your are not on public sewer.

Downspouts need to drain out into the yard, not in to your septic, sewer or sump well.
I live in Buffalo and all the houses are packed right next to each other. So there is a walkway or driveway below every gutter on my house.
kwickett85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2013, 11:31 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 6,652

Again,if the downspouts go into the public sewers, you can no longer do that. You are going to have to put extenders on the downspouts, to allow the water to exit away from the property.

gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 10:44 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
Again,if the downspouts go into the public sewers, you can no longer do that. You are going to have to put extenders on the downspouts, to allow the water to exit away from the property.

Could the pipes lead to the storm sewer?
venator260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 11:35 PM   #6
Plumber

Rewards Points: 16

You can wrap the pipe with fiberglass insulation. You can pipe special pipe wrap made for rain water leaders but probably not needed in your case.

If your rain leaders were originally designed and installed to your sewer, or permitted this way, there is a chance that it is still allowed as it falls under a "grandfather clause". This is the case in my area. As the properties are sold or updated, the properties are required to separate storm water from sanitary sewer systems.
Old 12-22-2013, 11:36 PM   #7
Plumber

Rewards Points: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by venator260 View Post
Could the pipes lead to the storm sewer?
yes this an existing possibility.
Advertisement