Attic Venting - Insulation - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-08-2015, 10:33 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 6

Attic Venting

I have a 24' X 30' shed that was a stick build. It is metal roof and metal siding with radiant barrier as insulation. The support posts are 4X6 and I am installing 2X4 stud walls w/ 24" centers between them. These walls are getting R-19 faced insulation with panel board over the insulation.
So I will end up having approximately 2" from the back of the stud wall to the outer wall and at least that much of a gap at the top plate into the attic area.
I only plan on heating the lower level enough to keep it above freezing in the winter, between 35-40 degrees.
There currently is no venting in place at all for the structure. I am trying to determine what I need to keep me out of moisture and mold troubles.
My plan was to put a ceiling on at the bottom of the trusses and insulate it also. This would leave the 2" gap between the inner and outer walls open to the attic so my solution could control humidity for both.
Prior to the start of this project, I ran a dehumidifier and havenít had any problems with condensation. I store a boat in there and live near a big lake that concerns me as the prevailing wind blows right over the lake before it gets to the building.
So at this point I am wondering what kind of venting I need, what would work best, or whether I should just put a second dehumidifier in the attic and run a drain tube off of it down and out of the building.
bassatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2015, 10:40 AM   #2

Pictures

Pics, sorry still working through navigation of these threads.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2015, 07:18 AM   #3

What do you think about rafter vents (insulation baffles)? I think it's just right up your door.

Advertisement

Old 10-19-2015, 07:34 AM   #4

rafter vents

I don't know if these will do anything for the attic ventilation as there is no soffit vents.
I probably will have to use these to allow airflow between the outer and inner walls, but not sure about exterior ventilation vs. dehumidifier in the attic just to keep the moisture out
Sponsored Links
Advertisement