Attic Insulation Removal And Baffle Install - Insulation - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-28-2017, 04:53 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 8

Attic insulation removal and baffle install

Is there a risk to a house if the insulation over the exterior walls is removed or reduced to allow space for air intake when new baffles, edge-vents and a ridge vent are installed on a house with no soffit? Background: I have a 1939 house with no eaves or soffits. There is a finished room in the attic. Blown insulation is encapsulated inside a cardboard-like covering along the entire roof line as well as along the knee walls. There is no insulation along the side walls of attic. Heat and cold collect in the open spaces (behind knee walls) and seep into the house.

The baffles extend from the top of the roof line and end 1 to 1-1/2 feet above the roof edges below. There was blown in insulation along the entire roof when the old wood was removed. 2" of insulation was removed in each rafter bay to make space for the baffles (DCI Smartbaffles were used). In that last 1 to 1-1/2 feet (at the base of each rafter bay), the insulation was completely removed from over the exterior walls (front and back) to help ensure that the blown insulation would not pull up and get into the baffles when air flowed into the edge-vents, up the baffles, and out of the ridge vent.

I am concerned that not placing the baffles the entire length of each rafter bay and the removal of insulation from over the exterior walls, may create not just temperature discomfort within the house, but may also result in condensation and eventual mold/mildew issues down the road.

I would like to gather other thoughts and experiences to determine if I'm worried over nothing or if the strategy on the baffle placement and insulation removal needs to be reconsidered. Thank you for your input.
tasligh50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2017, 05:08 PM   #2
retired framer

Rewards Points: 866

Re: Attic insulation removal and baffle install

Normally the chute is installed some bat insulation fills the cavity between the wall and the chute which stops the loose insulation from getting in the bottom of the chute or out in the soffet if you had one.
Nealtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2017, 06:38 PM   #3

Nealtw – Thank you for the suggestion on placing bat insulation against loose fill to hold it in place.

No soffits are on the house.

Question is on the probability of condensation within the walls or adjoining main floor ceiling now that insulation has been removed from above the outer walls.

If condensation is likely, then we need to reinsert insulation over the walls. If it isn't likely, then we can move forward. Would like to know your thoughts on this. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2017, 06:52 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,916

What's your location?
If there's no soffit vents then a ridge vent is useless.
There is still several ways to added the needed intake venting.
https://dciproducts.com/smartvent-attic-ventilation/
Old 09-28-2017, 07:05 PM   #5

Hi Joe -- I'm in Northern VA. There are edge-vents and baffles added to the ridge vent. So no worries there. Issue is the removal of the attic insulation at the very bottom edges of the roof line. This insulation once covered the top of the exterior walls. Now the insulation has been removed from this area. Do I need to be concerned that the heat from inside will meet the cold air from outside and create condensation in that area or is this really not a probable issue?

Below are pics of work in process:

http://s349.photobucket.com/user/tasligh50/slideshow/
Old 09-28-2017, 07:12 PM   #6
retired framer

Rewards Points: 866

Joe was talking about the missing lower vent.
Nealtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 03:48 AM   #7

Yes, I understand. Noted previously that the house has lower vents installed using Edge vents since the house has no soffits (not to be confused with the Ridge vent which is at the top of the house). Below is an excerpt from an article that explains better. Also included the URL for anyone who may want more information.

But back to my question -- on insulation -- do I need to be concerned (based on the pics provided in my prior post) about warm air from conditioned living room space meeting cold air from roof where the insulation was removed above exterior walls and possibly even further inward? I'm concerned about the potential for condensation, mold or mildew. Or is there little to no risk of this? Trying to get the perspective of someone who understands house construction better than I do and how it works related to insulation.

Excerpt and URL are below:

"A shingle-over intake vent provides a larger intake area than the venting drip edge. These vents sit right at the roof edge, or sometimes mid-roof, and are placed under the shingles directly on the roof. The benefits of using shingle-over intake vents are that they provide a large amount of intake area for their size, they’re relatively easy to install and they work well in areas that get a lot of snow and ice. Additionally, they’re the most aesthetically pleasing of all the vents. They’re virtually invisible if you’re standing on the ground looking up at the house."

URL is https://www.quickenloans.com/blog/ho...hallow-soffits
Old 09-29-2017, 02:53 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,066

Nice house. I haven't used the shingle over intakes, but it looks like a clever solution to having no soffits. From what I understand about them the air comes in about six inches up from the drip edge. It also looks like you have baffles from the very edge. If that's the case you shouldn't have any insulation voids there, just insulation up against the baffle.
Without the insulation there, yes I'd be concerned about the temperature differential. If you don't have a bomb proof air seal at that point in the wall-ceiling intersection then you do have a higher risk in that point without insulation.
NotyeruncleBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement