Attic Insulation: Lay New Over Old Or Remove? - Insulation - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-02-2014, 07:44 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 20

Attic Insulation: Lay new over old or remove?

I am slowly converting a two apartment cinder block beach cottage into a garage and now want to insulate the attic area. Its a typical two car garage and about sixty-year old.

The beams are 2x6's and about half has the pink insulation that I estimate is 3" and about 1/2 of it has flattened over the probably sixty year old building. It is not secured nor stapled to the joists. Joists widths are 22.5 inches.

I'll use the 8' x 23" x 6" batts. Should I remove the old insulation or just lay the new stuf over the old...where it exists?
hunt4cleanair is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2014, 09:34 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 144

1st. make sure the area is "air sealed". all the insulation in the world does no good, if there are holes in the ceiling.

then use blown in cellulose. it gives an over all better coverage. HOME DEPOT gives the machine rental free if you buy enough. you need a helper. otherwise it goes in real fast and real easy !
Fix'n it is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2014, 10:46 AM   #3
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 1,940

If it's just a garage, are you really concerned with the temp? Drywall alone does wonders for temp control.

If it is just a garage, I wouldn't do anything.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2014, 12:01 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
If it's just a garage, are you really concerned with the temp? Drywall alone does wonders for temp control.
It's a garage in the South along the coast where humidity infiltrates and causes mold on rubber and vinyl among a couple of classic Corvettes.

To manage heat and humidity, and add the element of climate control for garage work in the winter. I run a split duct heat pump with A/C in the summer and heat in the winter. Thus, the incentive to introduce some element of climate control
hunt4cleanair is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement