Attic Insulation - Insulation - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-21-2014, 12:25 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 30

Attic insulation

I recently purchased a new home, 1972 ranch stick framed. Attic has 6-8" of blown fiberglass insulation covered by another 1" foil faced on each side layer of fiberglass, over the topof the blown material 4' wide rolls overlapped and taped at seams. Isn't this holding in too much vapor? Good soffet and roof vents. I need to know whether to remove it and blow in another 6-8" of fiber glass or leave as is?
Thanks
Cattman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2014, 02:18 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 95

Fiberglass insulation.

Fiberglass insulation, is cheap, and it doesn't insulate very well. The problem is, it is open cell. Your warm air and water vapour can move quite easily through fiberglass insulation.
Water vapour can be trapped inside the fiberglass, what does happen is, the water vapour can freeze inside the fiberglass in cold weather, especially above bathrooms, when the ice thaws, the fiberglass becomes wet and useless until it dries out.
Perry525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2014, 02:59 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 30

It's the double layer of foil covering all the insulation I'm concerned with causing vapor issues.
Cattman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2014, 03:08 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,916

Never should have been a vapor barrier on the top side of the insulation.
Bet they where thinking it would act as a reflective surface to keep heat out.
Proper venting would have been the way to go instead.
Old 04-22-2014, 09:24 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 526

Remove the ff batts and use them on the bottom layer, next to the drywall ceiling, OR fasten them in between the rafters, fig. 1,2; http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...ifornia-attics

You would still require the ceiling insulation per codes; http://energycode.pnl.gov/EnergyCode...?state=Indiana

More ceiling insulation will slow the summertime heat better than ventilation; http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...on?full_view=1

Is the attic air-sealed; all the wiring/plumbing holes/chases, edges of drywall at ceiling/wall joint, etc.?

Gary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement