Attic Condensation From 4 Seasons Room - Insulation - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-30-2017, 02:31 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2

Attic Condensation from 4 Seasons Room

Hello, just joined the group today. I have a question pertaining to condensation/frost I have been having accumulate in my attic above my 4 seasons room. As you can see in the pic I attached (I'm not the best drawer), the 4 seasons room extends about 6" into my existing attic. (The four seasons room was added about 10 years after the house was built). The 4 seasons roof is metal, but has 4" of foam in the roof. The issue I'm having is when heating this room, it must be escaping into my attic and causing the frost. Could it be from the warm roof extending into the attic or the warm air escaping into my attic through my cedar trim near the ceiling? I've attached pics so you can see what I'm referring to. My plan is to add smart vents above my sunroom (on my existing roof) to help with ventilation. I also plan on spray foaming the metal four seasons roof that extends into my attic. Another thing I'm going to do is caulk my cedar trim near the ceiling to prevent any air flow into my attic from the sunroom. What's everyone's thoughts on this? Should it work? Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Attic Condensation from 4 Seasons Room-sunroom.png   Attic Condensation from 4 Seasons Room-sunroom2.jpg   Attic Condensation from 4 Seasons Room-sunrrom3.jpg   Attic Condensation from 4 Seasons Room-sunroom4.jpg  
dhagan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2017, 09:28 PM   #2
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 840

Re: Attic Condensation from 4 Seasons Room

Sounds like a pretty proactive approach to it.

I think as you get into it, the sources of the heat loss and cold will become apparent. The tie ins on those type of rooms usually leaves room for improvement.
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2017, 07:03 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 526

Re: Attic Condensation from 4 Seasons Room

-----------Welcome to the forums!-----------------------

1.Where is the foam (4")? on the underside of metal roof?

Is there a gap between the foam and metal? Describe the roof make-up, please.

2. Is the addition roof ventilated or is that air going to house roof from the stack effect (not vented)? You would stop air/moisture from going through the house attic to vent at top and rot out your sun room framing, if you caulk/SPF that higher end of sloping addition roof. IF so, I would (even) open up the framing under the house attic overhang to vent and stop the condensation- leaving/replacing framing to hold the rafters in check. The warm/moist air from the sunroom is trying to get out and condensing on the (highest point) as it should be doing. Don't block it off.

3. where are you located?

Gary

Last edited by Gary in WA; 01-31-2017 at 07:05 PM. Reason: sp
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement