Any Experience With Closed Cell Polyurethane Foam On Ceiling - Insulation - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-11-2015, 11:55 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,910

Any experience with closed cell Polyurethane foam on ceiling

Have any of you had closed cell Polyurethane foam sprayed directly on top of your ceiling drywall? Would you do it again?

I'm looking at insulation options and the spray foam outfits say this will work fine. Just looking for pros and cons of this approach from those who have actually done it.
jogr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2015, 12:26 PM   #2
Low Slope Roofing

Rewards Points: 114

Why would you spray it on top of the dry wall? It most likely will stick, it sticks to most anything, for how long it stays I wouldn't know, but putting it over the drywall seems kind of backwards. I wouldn't do it to the ceiling if it has the popcorn style texture.
1985gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2015, 01:02 PM   #3
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 942

What...?

On top of drywall ceiling? Why would you do that and it will require a thermal and ignition barrier if it is facing a conditioned space.
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2015, 02:07 PM   #4
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 6

Quote:
Have any of you had closed cell Polyurethane foam sprayed directly on top of your ceiling drywall?
Ayuh,.... As in from the attic,..??

Sure, Go for it,.....

Last edited by Bondo; 02-11-2015 at 02:10 PM.
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 04:33 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,910

On top. Not on bottom. The bottom of the ceiling is the part you see looking up. The top is the part you see looking down when in the attic.

I take it from your puzzlements that you don't have experience with insulating ceilings with polyurethane foam.
jogr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 06:17 PM   #6
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 942

Quote:
Originally Posted by jogr View Post
On top. Not on bottom. The bottom of the ceiling is the part you see looking up. The top is the part you see looking down when in the attic.

I take it from your puzzlements that you don't have experience with insulating ceilings with polyurethane foam.
I would normally refer to that area as the attic drywall/floor (i.e. not the decking). Takes some of the question out of the location identification for most readers and, apparently, me as well.

I would say that I have only air sealed and insulated about a thousand homes at this point.

You can spray all the foam you want on the attic floor but the question becomes, what is the benefit. Foam is expensive and CC even more so.

If the home is a ventilated attic design, the benefit of the foam, primarily and as compared to cheaper loose fill insulation, would be the air sealing.

I have done test in and test out on the same home that was both spot sealed (i.e. spraying foam or sealant across the top plates and fixing all the other envelope bypasses) and one that had a 3" layer of OC foam applied over the entirety of the attic floor (top of ceiling). The test differential was unidentifiable. There are normal variances in the blower door when it is running and there was no conclusive of tangible benefit.

The only benefit in this case was lightening the customer's wallet with the spray foam bill.

OC SPF was used in this case and OC foam is just as much of an air seal as is CC SPF so there would be no difference regardless of the foam used in the air sealing and blower door numbers.

CC SPF will give you a lower permeance rating in that assembly if you require it but I don't see that as a necessary benefit in a ventilated attic. Stopping the air flow via either OC SPF or cheaper yet, spot sealing, will so dramatically reduce the moisture flow (mainly due to air leakage) into the attic that any properly vented attic will be quite happy.

Code will require the exposed foam (bulk application) to be covered with an intumescent if it is not covered with insulation. You will need to have either an ignition or thermal barrier depending on what you use the attic for (if it has a hatch).

Hope this answered your question based on my experience.
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 06:27 PM   #7
Low Slope Roofing

Rewards Points: 114

The wording as backwards as it was is the puzzlement. ..
1985gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement