Another Attic Insulation Thread- Tight Attic Space Problem - Insulation - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Windows on Wash
  • 1 Post By URY914

Old 12-07-2016, 09:04 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 76

Another attic insulation thread- tight attic space problem

We bought a house back in March that was built in 1958. Roof has about 3/12 pitch or less. This is great for walking on the roof but there is only about 4 feet at the highest point of the attic. The roof is conventionally framed with 2x8s, not 2x4 engineered trusses. The roof decking is 1x 6 tongue/groove, not plywood. The attic space is tight. There is probably more framing members then are needed. There is ductwork for the central A/C. The duct is actually metal and wrapped with insulation. There is also the original fuel oil furnace still in the attic. It has been disconnected but it remains in place with a single supply duct dumping into the hallway. There is only one attic access that is about 24 x 24. I cannot crawl in the attic space; too low and too many things (wiring, ducts, framing) to crawl around. I only have about 2 of insulation between the joists. In the summer the A/C run$ continually during the day.

My thoughts are:
I need to blow in insulation, but that has its problems. Ill need to open up some more access points in the ceiling to get full coverage. I figure I can go in the bedroom closet ceilings and cut out an opening. The ceilings are plaster of course so it will be a PITA. One concern I have is I cant get in there to install baffles to keep the insulation from blocking the eave venting. I suppose I just need to be careful with the spray insulation?
I also want to remove the old furnace. It takes up too much room that is not insulated. I can remove the ductwork and get it out of the old grill location that is now covered with a piece of plywood. I hope I can do this but I wont know until I get some access to it.

Here are a few pics of what Im dealing with. In one you can see the lack on insulation. In the other you can see the old furnace. Any input/comments/concerns will be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Another attic insulation thread- tight attic space problem-img_2634.jpg   Another attic insulation thread- tight attic space problem-img_2629.jpg  
URY914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2016, 10:06 AM   #2
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 944

Re: Another attic insulation thread- tight attic space problem

How old is the roof?

That looks like a complete nightmare to work in.
AIRLOCK likes this.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2016, 12:21 PM   #3

The roof is in good shape. Yea, I thought about opening up the roof to get access too. But I'd rather not.
AIRLOCK likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2016, 03:04 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,374

You need to find a 4ft contractor to help you...another option is ripping plywood into 2'x8' rectangles, put them in a centered line [temporarily] screwed down, then get something like a padded auto dolly that you can slide around on to shoot-in your insulation...find someone small that can set the plywood for you...
tstex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 03:17 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,916

Post a picture of the outside in the soffit area.
Thinking outside the box it would be a pain but the baffles may be able to be added from the outside.
May be easier to cut up that old system to get it out the hole you have now.
When I have to blow in insulation I tape a piece of PVC pipe to the hose to make it easier to reach those low areas.
Old 12-07-2016, 07:12 PM   #6

I've watched a few YouTube videos and saw the PVC pipe extensions. Good idea to fit into the hard to reach spots.

I'll also look at removing the vinyl soffit material and installing baffles from the outside.

I'll take some more pics of the attic too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement