Air Sealing At Gable Ends, With Brick Cladding? - Insulation - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-29-2018, 05:44 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 337

Air sealing at gable ends, with brick cladding?

My house was built in 1951, brick cladding on the main floor and three large wooden gables above. I'm getting ready to air seal the attic, and I notice at all the gable ends of the attic, where the rafters end, there's a drop of about 18 inches, to what looks like the top course of the exterior bricks. There appears to be a space of about 1/2 inch between the inner side of the bricks and what looks like the outer edge of the wall sheathing.

Now, this space needs to stay open to the attic, correct, so water vapor from the brick can escape?

I'm planning to have cellulose blown in to the attic to a depth of 13 inches, but I need to make sure no cellulose goes down into those spaces, right? So I need to put some type of barrier that blocks the cellulose, but lets air pass?
dave11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2018, 05:58 PM   #2
retired framer

Rewards Points: 580

Re: Air sealing at gable ends, with brick cladding?

I think you could block the top the space is drain plane and you should have weep holes at the bottom of the brick. You want a fire stop from the wall to the attic and that would be a perfect chimney for the wall fire.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement