Air Seal Attic With Lath And Plaster 2nd Floor Ceiling - Insulation - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-04-2016, 07:21 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 4

Air seal attic with lath and plaster 2nd floor ceiling

My house was built in early 1900s. I have been working on a few projects to make the home more efficient.
I am starting to insulate the attic. The attic is a full walk up and I found the 2nd floor ceilings were done with lath and plaster so there are numerous wood panels connected to the attic floor support.
I wanted to use caulk/canned spray foam to seal the gaps but with all the wood panels it would take an extreme amount of time and I am sure there is a better way.
After I seal the 2nd floor ceiling to the attic floor support I will them insulate (most likely fiberglass or stone wool) then put down plywood, then eventually flooring.

Any advise on the best way to seal the 2nd floor celling to the attic would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

I will attach a picture later today.
Claytonx28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2016, 07:38 AM   #2
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 818

Re: Air seal attic with lath and plaster 2nd floor ceiling

The larger saving are going to be sealing up the balloon framing in the home.

Depending on the square footage, you might be able to DIY it with a couple of larger froth paks as well.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2016, 07:55 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 4

From the basement I have checked and the house does not appear to have balloon framing. I will check from the attic as well. I did have a energy audit and balloon framing was brought up. Very good point though, thank you
Claytonx28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2016, 12:54 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 92

Depending upon your location it is going to be difficult to meet code requirements and still be able to install a floor above. Plus the floor above creates a condensation plane where moisture passing through that assembly will find a cold surface, assuming this remains a ventilated attic space. If not ventilated then there are other issues that need to be addressed.

Bud
Bud9051 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement