Air Leaks At Rim Joist In 1890's Home - Insulation - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Bud9051
  • 1 Post By joecaption

Old 11-25-2016, 01:15 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 6

Air leaks at rim joist in 1890's home

Hi,

My pantry is close to the same temperature as the outdoors and I would appreciate any suggestions about what to do. The basement is finished so I'm trying to figure out what to do from the outside.

There are multiple layers of old siding beneath the shingles, the inner layer of which is rotting in places. And there are various voids large enough to fit a finger.

Can I "cap" it with a horizontal piece of rigid foam sealed on the sides with spray foam? Or do I need to take off some shingles to seal it with a vertical piece of rigid foam or something else?

Thank you
Harry
harryemattison is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2016, 08:41 PM   #2
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 818

Re: Air leaks at rim joist in 1890's home

While the foam will provide some insulation value, I don't like leaving it exposed to where the critters can chew at it. The air is the bigger issue. I would rip down some wood and close that gap with caulking and wood
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2016, 07:07 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 96

The rotting wood concerns me as to why it is in trouble. Sounds like a moisture issue that needs further investigation and possibly repair.

What was the old siding and what is the new?
And what is your climate region?

Bud
Bud9051 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2016, 08:02 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,854

Going to make a guess.
This is an added on room to existing home.
Sure looks like a classic DIY job of not cutting the stucco, flashing and tieing in the two walls.
Would be interesting to see some pictures further back, and see how they tied the roof into the wall.
Makes no since to just cover up rotting wood.
Bud9051 likes this.
Old 11-27-2016, 06:57 AM   #5

Thanks everyone.

We are in Boston. The rot was likely caused by inadequate gutters which were fixed several years ago. The old siding was clapboard. The new siding is cedar shingle. If the pantry was an addition, it was done long before I bought the house. In any case, the floors along the main exterior wall (which is original to the home) that is joined to the pantry wall are also very cold.

A carpenter-friend suggested working from the inside in the pantry where its exterior wall meets the exterior wall, so I could take off the beadboard covering those walls and look there.

If I were to get into stripping shingles outside, how should I approach that. Can I just take off the bottom couple feet, or would I need to do the entire wall?
Old 11-27-2016, 07:11 AM   #6
Property Mgt/Maint

Rewards Points: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryemattison View Post
If I were to get into stripping shingles outside, how should I approach that. Can I just take off the bottom couple feet, or would I need to do the entire wall?

Post a pic of the outside wall. You should be able to strip from the bottom. It is going to be tedious. Lots of patience required lifting shingles, pulling or cutting nails. You will likely break some. Be sure you can get replacements.
Yodaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 07:18 AM   #7

The pantry is the one-story wall shown in the bottom photo.

Old 11-27-2016, 07:59 AM   #8
Property Mgt/Maint

Rewards Points: 24

Nothing out of the ordinary that I can see. Looks like a #2 course cedar shake. available at most big box stores. Don't worry about trying to save them.
Just make a horizontal cut were you choose. Rip off everything below. The upper portion of the cut is where you need the patience lifting the outer course and pulling out the cut portion from underneath.
Yodaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 09:04 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 12

Is the pantry the part in the picture that juts out? if so is it a crawl space under it or basement?
Rocky22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement