Adhering Foam Board To Coooold Walls - Insulation - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-03-2014, 12:35 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,076

Adhering foam board to coooold walls

I'm (still!) in the process of attaching 1" XPS foamboards to my basement walls for insulation. Right now it is wicked cold outside (-2 F without the wind chill this morning!), so the cinder block wall areas in my basement that are above ground are quite cold as well. Will the foamboard adhesive be affected any if I glue the boards up while it's bitterly cold outside? I figure the heat from inside my house should make up the difference, but I wanted to be sure.
spaceman spif is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2014, 12:39 PM   #2
bbo

Rewards Points: 500

what does the adhesive say?
the Loctite stuff wants the surface clean, dry and between 40 and 100 f.

http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/pl_...d-Adhesive.htm
bbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2014, 12:43 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbo View Post
what does the adhesive say?
the Loctite stuff wants the surface clean, dry and between 40 and 100 f.

http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/pl_...d-Adhesive.htm
That's what I'm using for adhesive. I haven't actually measured the temperature of the wall, but I know last night it felt cold to the touch and today it's even colder. Safe to assume it's above 40 on the surface of the walls, but not by much, and I didn't know if anyone had experienced problems gluing on to cold walls and would recommend setting up a heater in the room.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2014, 12:55 PM   #4
bbo

Rewards Points: 500

I'd use a heater ( one that puts out dry heat, a propane heater would make it too wet IMO ) I think the cold and condensation would be an issue.

I think if you get it to stick and the foam doesn't fall, that's all you need. worst case, you'll have to stick some back up later, right?
bbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 11:46 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 526

The initial bond should not break to allow air behind the FB. It HAS to be air-tight on the CMUs to prevent condensation there. IMO, use 1' square grid pattern to limit any future air leaks to that small area, not to compromise the whole. http://joneakes.com/jons-fixit-database/743

Your local AHJ may also require positive attachment (mechanical fasteners)- other than adhesive, many do.

Gary
Old 01-06-2014, 09:25 PM   #6

When I did the first wall, I applied the adhesive in 1' "grids". Well, some looked more like 1' "connected amoebas". I plan on doing the same with this wall. Right now it's -10 F (without the wind chill) so I plan on waiting a few days just to be safe before I glue the second wall.

As for fasteners, if I plan on putting up studs for drywall in front of the XPS, do I still need to mechanically fasten the XPS to the cinder block?
Old 01-06-2014, 10:06 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 6,652

Go get a couple of shop heaters. It will warm that room up in no time. I was running two 1500 watt heaters in my basement, and within four hours, it went from 54 down there, to 68. Of course the furnace also was cycling every now and then.

This unit is $170 at Menard's http://www.menards.com/main/heating-...857-c-6328.htm 5000 watt, 240vAC, 21 amp.

The great thing is that after you get done with the basement, you can hang it in your Garage, to keep it warm when you are out there working.

gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement