Adding R-19 To Existing Rock Wool - Insulation - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-04-2015, 10:52 AM   #1
joezapp

Rewards Points: 66

Adding R-19 to existing rock wool

Hi. I was about to start my fall project Saturday, which is to scoop up the existing rock wool on my attic floor in order to lay down R-19 batts that have a vapor barrier. I would then be putting the rock wool back on top of the fiberglass batts, creating a nice high R. This was going to be a fairly straightforward project.

I then realized that maybe it's not. There's bound to be some dust under the rock wool. Maybe a little, and maybe a lot. It's been there a long time. I'm now thinking that the attic floor must be free of ALL dust before I lay the vapor retardant batts down over it. This, of course, would make this job more tedious.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks so much.
joezapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2015, 11:06 AM   #2
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 972

What is the dust?

Why not just blow loose fill? Its about a million times easier and you tend to get more even coverage.

Look up any number of the threads on air sealing first. I would highly recommend you do that in conjunction with the re-insulation project.
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2015, 01:39 PM   #3
joezapp

Rewards Points: 66

Hi. Thanks for the comments.

I would anticipate some dust from rock wool breakdown. But it's possible, I suppose, that there won't be any dust at all.

As far as blowing loose fill, I had every intention of re-using the rock wool. I just wanted to add some more insulation, and insulation with a vapor barrier...even though the vapor barrier was probably not required in my case.

Yes, I have now seen consistently all over the web that air sealing is the most important part of the re-insulation job. I had no idea! I will definitely do this. I will need to educate myself on what to look for and what to use to seal. Thank you!
joezapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement