Adding New Insulation To Attic - Insulation - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By user_12345a
  • 1 Post By user_12345a

Old 11-28-2017, 09:50 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 14

Adding new insulation to attic

This weekend I am going to add some more insulation to my attic. However, as I have been going through the attic and collecting the junk and other crap left behind I have discovered that rats, squirrels or other pests have been living there too. I have found tunnels and many 2" wide holes throughout the attic area.

So, my question is do I have to do anything about the holes or can I just spray over them?

I was thinking of taking a rake and trying to flatten out the holes but I am not sure it that 's a waste of time. I certainly do not want to remove all the insulation just to add it back in. I have a very tight budget.

Any information or help would be greatly appreciated.
Highoctanewine is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2017, 10:44 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 944

Re: Adding new insulation to attic

holes in the insulation, or?

Deal with the pest problem before insulating.

I would want the old stuff totally removed if contaminated with animal piss and droppings. A health hazard.
Dave Sal, stick\shift and Bud9051 like this.
I am not in the business of any trade or topic I give advice on. I have previous diy experience plus good knowledge of theory. Attempt repairs at your own risk. Never jump out safeties - especially pressure switches - on a furnace for testing with fuel supply on; use a meter. Do not troubleshoot with live line voltage present unless there's no alternative.
user_12345a is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2017, 10:50 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 6,476

Sounds like you really don't want to read my answer, or have your wife read it.
Those critters never were house trained, thus when they had to do their business they didn't bother to run outside. In many cases they designate an area away from their normal activity and it becomes their potty. if you can locate those disgusting outhouses and remove them you will have eliminated some of their stench.

Now, I don't see where you are located, but if you use ac in the summer then as the cool air leaks out of the lower portions of your home it will pull in replacement air from the attic. In fact I've seen a number that says 50% of the air you breathe will come from the attic in some homes.

Since air sealing is an extremely important part of adding more insulation up there my recommendation would be to dig through the old sufficiently to locate and seal all places where air can leak through to the attic. In that process you may also find and be able to remove much of the rodent pee and poo. you will also need to locate where those critters were entering and seal them, if that hasn't been done.

Good luck,
Bud
Bud9051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2017, 02:44 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 4,234

Quote:
Deal with the pest problem before insulating. I would want the old stuff totally removed if contaminated with animal piss and droppings.
Two very good sentences to answer your question from my point of view as well.
stick\shift is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stick\shift For This Useful Post:
Highoctanewine (11-29-2017)
Old 11-29-2017, 02:52 PM   #5

I appreciate the advice. I understand the health issues at hand about the droppings and all. I think I found out where they did go, and thankfully it was in one of the soffits where I was able to clean out. Man those squirrels were busy. I will keep looking for more areas and I hope I don't find any inside the attic itself. But to my first question do I still need to flatten out the tunnels? And if I had the money and time I would definitely remove the old insulation and replace it with new stuff, but that probably won't happen.

Btw, I live in Pensacola, FL, which is to say that it does get cold here but not to the freezing point, or for more than a few nights.
Old 11-29-2017, 05:15 PM   #6

There shouldn't be gaps in the insulation.

Get rid of all tunnels.
Highoctanewine likes this.
I am not in the business of any trade or topic I give advice on. I have previous diy experience plus good knowledge of theory. Attempt repairs at your own risk. Never jump out safeties - especially pressure switches - on a furnace for testing with fuel supply on; use a meter. Do not troubleshoot with live line voltage present unless there's no alternative.
Old 11-30-2017, 11:20 PM   #7

After reading all of your replies and thinking about it I have decided to remove all the old insulation and replace it with Green Fiber from Lowe's. I guess if I'm going to do this I might as well do it right--plug up all "entrances" and screen vents. Thanks for all the advice and hopefully I can come out under $1,000 for all the equipment and the materials for my 1,000sqft attic.

As I have started to remove some of the insulation by hand (I will rent a machine on Monday) I have discovered mildew under the insulation. I guess this is mostly due to the rats that have been visiting the attic. I have heard that vinegar will kill the mildew. Has anyone ever tried this and does it work? Thanks in advance.
Old 11-30-2017, 11:26 PM   #8

Many things can cause mold and mildew in an attic.

you have to find the problem and fix it.

maybe post a pic of the mildew? u sure it's just not dirt?

insulation can act as air filter.

Moisture not properly controlled plus excessive leakage into attic plus poor ventilation can cause growth.

don't assume it was just the animals.

Does the attic floor have a vapour barrier?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
attic , holes , insulation , pests , squirrels