Adding Insulation In The Attic - Insulation - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-03-2014, 03:35 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 99

Adding Insulation in the Attic

There's blown in insulation up in the attic right now.

1.) Can I just go to home depot and buy a roll of fiberglass insulation and unroll it in the attic? or does the added insulation have to be blown in as well?

2.) How do I secure this type of insulation? Or does it need to be secured?

Please advise. Thanks!
edta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2014, 04:05 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,896

For the most bang for the buck go with blown in.
Most home centers will let you use there blower for free if you buy 10 bags.
Need to first air seal the attic, add baffles of there is none so the soffit vents do not get blocked with insulation.
Adding you location would be a great help.
Just go to quick links to edit.
http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?...sulation_table
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2014, 04:11 PM   #3

For the most bang for the buck go with blown in.
Most home centers will let you use there blower for free if you buy 10 bags.
Need to first air seal the attic, add baffles of there is none so the soffit vents do not get blocked with insulation.
Adding you location would be a great help.
Just go to quick links to edit.
http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?...sulation_table
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2014, 04:18 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 99

Thanks. My dad has beat me to this project and has already started unrolling insulation up top. (yeah, no baffles instead either). So I'm wondering whether or not he's making a bigger mess for me to clean up in the future or not.
edta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 04:46 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 352

Below 32F - 0C or not, it's time to put dad's favorite meal on the grill.
SeniorSitizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 05:07 PM   #6

He's making a big mistake and wasting time and money.
Old 03-03-2014, 09:56 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 526

Yes you can do it. Be sure to buy unfaced batts/rolls. An R-30 (low density- same weight as your loose-fill per cubic foot) batt/roll (9-1/2" thick) will compress the loose fill below slightly; giving it more R-value per inch but less less total R-value. It weighs 1/2# per square foot. If using a heavier density one; expect more compression= less total R-value. It will help at the soffits, especially without baffles, stopping your loose-fill from blowing like snow drifts up there. No securing necessary. Run the rolls/batts perpendicular to the ceiling joists.

"The different forms of insulation can be used together. For example, you can add batt or roll insulation over loose-fill insulation, or vice-versa. Usually, material of higher density (weight per unit volume) should not be placed on top of lower density insulation that is easily compressed. Doing so will reduce the thickness of the material underneath and thereby lower its R-value. There is one exception to this general rule: When attic temperatures drop below 0F, some low-density, fiberglass, loose-fill insulation installations may allow air to circulate between the top of your ceiling and the attic, decreasing the effectiveness of the insulation. You can eliminate this air circulation by covering the low-density, loose-fill insulation with a blanket insulation product or with a higher density loose-fill insulation." from; http://web.ornl.gov/sci/roofs+walls/...on/ins_02.html

"Add the Right Kind of Insulation When adding additional insulation, you do not have to use the same type of insulation that currently exists in your attic. You can add loose fill on top of fiberglass batts or blankets, and vice-versa. If you use fiberglass over loose fill, make sure the fiberglass batt has no paper or foil backing; it needs to be "unfaced."" from; https://www.energystar.gov/?c=diy.diy_attic_insulation

Gary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement