Add Cellulose On Top Of Old Balsam Wool Insulation - Insulation - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Insulation

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-03-2018, 10:25 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2

Add cellulose on top of old balsam wool insulation

Attic floor. Can I add spray cellulose insulation on top of balsam wool insulation that has black paper? It is dry and intact
Annemarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2018, 10:45 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 192

Re: Add cellulose on top of old balsam wool insulation

Hi Annemarie and welcome to the forum.
Not familiar with the balsam wool insulation but if it is neat and not crushed with age it can be hidden beneath the cellulose.

But to be honest, I've removed some old insulation and usually find trash and rodent dropping and after the vac finishes the clean up the effort feels worth while. One of the key benefits of removing the old is to gain access to the top of all walls below and all penetrations to be able to do a really good job of air sealing.

If you add a nearby big city to your profile we will have an idea as to your local climate, ie how much insulation is needed.

How old is the house?
Some pictures would help.

Bud
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2018, 10:58 PM   #3
retired framer

Rewards Points: 692

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud9051 View Post
Hi Annemarie and welcome to the forum.
Not familiar with the balsam wool insulation but if it is neat and not crushed with age it can be hidden beneath the cellulose.

But to be honest, I've removed some old insulation and usually find trash and rodent dropping and after the vac finishes the clean up the effort feels worth while. One of the key benefits of removing the old is to gain access to the top of all walls below and all penetrations to be able to do a really good job of air sealing.

If you add a nearby big city to your profile we will have an idea as to your local climate, ie how much insulation is needed.

How old is the house?
Some pictures would help.

Bud
It is wood fiber made from cedar, redwood cypress and the like. It was treated for fire and rodents. It is wrapped in black or craft paper and is a mess if you open it. I think if the venting is good I would just go over it.
I have no idea of R value.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nealtw For This Useful Post:
Bud9051 (11-03-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2018, 08:01 PM   #4

Thank you for the response. It is extremely messy once the black paper opens, as I am currently replacing behind knee wall because it was ripped. Cellulose being unfaced, I don't think there is a condensation issue. From what I've read.
Old 11-04-2018, 10:15 PM   #5
retired framer

Rewards Points: 692

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annemarie View Post
Thank you for the response. It is extremely messy once the black paper opens, as I am currently replacing behind knee wall because it was ripped. Cellulose being unfaced, I don't think there is a condensation issue. From what I've read.
Do you have soffit and near peak vent in the attic, do the soffits have air chutes? Are there any obvious hole from the hose to the attic that would leak air? Around pipes vents and ducts?
Attached Thumbnails
Add cellulose on top of old balsam wool insulation-air-chutes.jpg  
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 07:23 PM   #6

No soffits, cape with full dormer in back. I have a peak vent or gable vents on each side. Maybe 2 vent pipes( I have to check). Attic space not big, can't stand up. I'm hoping spray cellulose myself with my daughter feeding it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement