White X On Dwaft Holly's - Gardening Forum - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care > Gardening Forum

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-27-2017, 05:42 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2,038

White X on dwaft holly's

Hello to all,

When we bought about (12) 3 gallon dwarf holly's, there seemed to be like water spots on them. When they get wet, it goes away, but when it dries, the light colored spots come back.

Enclosed are three pictures of them. The old leaves still have the white residue on them, but some of the new leaves lower down and up the stalks are getting them too.

I sprayed them w Malathion today 2tlbs per gallon, per instructions. I cannot remember the exact name of these holly's, but I think they are dwarf Carissa holly's.

If you know what the white residue is, or what to treat with and how often, pls let me know? If it's another variety, I am all ears too.

Thank you very much and thank you to all our service men & women that have helped our country - regards, tstex
Attached Thumbnails
White X on dwaft holly's-holly1.jpg   White X on dwaft holly's-holly2.jpg   White X on dwaft holly's-holly3.jpg  

Last edited by tstex; 05-27-2017 at 05:55 PM.
tstex is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2017, 02:30 AM   #2
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 34

Re: White X on dwaft holly's

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/white-m...hes-41334.html
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2017, 09:25 AM   #3

Thanks Chris

I googled about every site where was and came across the one multiple times. I like and use SFgate for many diff horticultural things.

They are planted in full sun and are watered regularly, which are two negatives towards powdery mildew.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2017, 09:42 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 4,204

I have the same on honeysuckle leaves, but not on the holly. The honeysuckle is a newer, weaker plant, the holly is old & stronger. I'm hoping that good care will make a difference. We never know what plants have gone thru in shipping. The new leaves are fine.

Have you tried just wiping it off a few leaves to see if it's a mineral deposit from hard water? If you wanted a real science experiment, you could take a few leaves & see if Tilex, or CLR foams up on contact with the "minerals". If so, try not to get water on the leaves.

Last edited by Nik333; 05-28-2017 at 09:46 AM.
Nik333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 10:23 AM   #5

Thanks Nik

When I spray the entire plant from the water hose, the ones w the white residue temporarily go away. But when they dry, they come back. The new leaves however, do not show any signs of the white when they dry. This has been done many times.

I might take some samples to a qualified nursery and see if have an "immediate I know what that is". If they too are ambiguous, the search is still on...
Old 05-28-2017, 10:43 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstex View Post
Thanks Nik

When I spray the entire plant from the water hose, the ones w the white residue temporarily go away. But when they dry, they come back. The new leaves however, do not show any signs of the white when they dry. This has been done many times.

I might take some samples to a qualified nursery and see if have an "immediate I know what that is". If they too are ambiguous, the search is still on...
If the new leaves are fine, then why not wait until the old leaves drop off? Or take them off gradually. It may just be that it has an infection on the previously stressed leaves, that the new leaves are strong enough to fight off.

My holly hadn't been watered or fertilized by the previous person. Now, it's growing beautifully. I have to prune it again!

I honestly think the most likely culprit is minerals or mildew. Water will make either disappear temporarily. The healthier leaves may have a stronger protective coating. But, watering the leaves won't help with mildew.

Last edited by Nik333; 05-28-2017 at 10:46 AM.
Old 05-28-2017, 10:53 AM   #7

Whatever it is, some of the new leaves has it too. My point about the watering the plant is that when it hits the white areas, they go away, but come back when it's dry.

on the leaves w nothing, when the water dries, not white residue, so I was eliminating that it was a possible mineral deposits.

Thanks again
Old 05-28-2017, 10:56 AM   #8

Note: no other plants/bushes or other have this problem. The only other thing I was dealing w is white scale on my front yard sago palms [the hollies are in the back]. My nbor never treats his sego palms and I'm always getting them sometime later again after successfully treating mine
Old 05-28-2017, 12:35 PM   #9

I've been buying a lot of plants lately & I'm always surprised at how some can actually be in poor condition, initially. It seems like some growers are just in it for the money, not for pride in a healthy product. Some are grown in hothouses in different climates & forced to flower (not speaking of hollies) then drop all their flowers immediately after bought. It's frustrating, but all have responded to good care.

It's hard to know without testing, how much fertilizer is in the original pot's soil. I have been known to overfertilize already fertilized plants. Then lots of leaf growth & no flowers. Not saying this is your issue, at all. Just venting.

Hopefully, your good & consistent care will make the difference.

This has some interesting info on foliar diseases & watering.

http://www.aces.edu/pubs/docs/A/ANR-1087/ANR-1087.pdf

Last edited by Nik333; 05-28-2017 at 12:43 PM.
Old 06-02-2017, 09:13 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 576

Take some samples to more than one nursery....also, if you have a 10x magnifying glass, take a look.
Cedrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement