What To Plant With Boxwoods - Gardening Forum - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care > Gardening Forum

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By DoomsDave

Old 04-13-2019, 07:55 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 22

What to plant with boxwoods

My front garden has boxwoods along the back row (can't remember the name but they grow to about 4 ft round) in front of them is a row of Coral Bells with an Astilbe on each end of the Coral Bells (Coral Bells are a burgundy color) In front of those I had planted lilyturf but apparently I was sold the wrong lilyturf as they are invading everything! I'm going to pull them out but I'm not sure what to plant in their place? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I live in zone 6. I'd prefer a perennial rather than an annual. Partial shade. Thank you!
spatn1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2019, 08:48 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 5,660

Re: What to plant with boxwoods

Quote:
Originally Posted by spatn1212 View Post
My front garden has boxwoods along the back row (can't remember the name but they grow to about 4 ft round) in front of them is a row of Coral Bells with an Astilbe on each end of the Coral Bells (Coral Bells are a burgundy color) In front of those I had planted lilyturf but apparently I was sold the wrong lilyturf as they are invading everything! I'm going to pull them out but I'm not sure what to plant in their place? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I live in zone 6. I'd prefer a perennial rather than an annual. Partial shade. Thank you!
Welcome!

Zone 6 only tells us what the lowest temperatures are; they say nothing about the other aspects of the climate. Zone 6 is in Cleveland Ohio, plus the Texas Panhandle, and Oklahoma and parts of Nevada.

I'm not quite following your request; do you want something less invasive than the lily turf?

I'm in California now, but I gardened in Cleveland for decades before then.

Again, welcome!
DoomsDave is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2019, 09:02 PM   #3

I live in central Pennsylvania zone 6 (close to State College). I'm looking for ideas for companion perennial plants that look good with Boxwood (can't remember the name but it grows to about 4' tall and round. In front of the boxwoods I have a row of Coral Bells (a burgundy color) with an Astible on each end of the row of coral bells. Now I'm looking for something to plant in front of the coral bells. I had lilyturf but the lilyturf is becoming invasive. So, I'd like to replace the lilyturf with something that doesn't spread. I'm wondering what plants would look good with the ones I've described above? I should also add the plants are in partial sun (morning) and shade from about noon on.

Last edited by spatn1212; 04-13-2019 at 09:06 PM. Reason: more info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2019, 02:16 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 5,660

Quote:
Originally Posted by spatn1212 View Post
I live in central Pennsylvania zone 6 (close to State College). I'm looking for ideas for companion perennial plants that look good with Boxwood (can't remember the name but it grows to about 4' tall and round. In front of the boxwoods I have a row of Coral Bells (a burgundy color) with an Astible on each end of the row of coral bells. Now I'm looking for something to plant in front of the coral bells. I had lilyturf but the lilyturf is becoming invasive. So, I'd like to replace the lilyturf with something that doesn't spread. I'm wondering what plants would look good with the ones I've described above? I should also add the plants are in partial sun (morning) and shade from about noon on.
My brain's a bit tired from thinking about your search.

I honestly didn't think lily turf was that invasive, but there's a number of plants called that, and I suspect some are much worse than others.

I assume you're looking for some kind of nice, compact ground cover about 6" tall. Most of what I come up with is even worse in the invasiveness department than the lily turf. (Vinca minor? No no no no no! )

As a side note, my dad and mom are both from Pittsburgh, and dad went to Penn State on the GI bill back in the 1950s.
spatn1212 likes this.
DoomsDave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 03:42 PM   #5

Liriope Spicata is invasive, which I'm guessing is what I was sold instead of Liriope Big Blue which isn't. (I grew up in the Pittsburgh area and moved here 2 years ago!) I had lilyturf Big Blue when I lived in Pgh and that is what I thought I was buying here. Yes, looking for something small that is well contained. Hosta maybe?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement