Roundup Barrel For A Rain Barrel - Gardening Forum - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care > Gardening Forum

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By nanuk
  • 1 Post By nanuk
  • 1 Post By DrHicks

Old 06-14-2016, 06:47 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 107

Roundup barrel for a rain barrel

I was going to buy a 250 gallon tank for a rain barrel then found out my parents have the same tanks but had roundup in them. Think it'd be ok to use if I rinse it out a few times. Maybe toss some borax or something in there.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk
listo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2016, 07:56 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 266

Re: Roundup barrel for a rain barrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by listo View Post
I was going to buy a 250 gallon tank for a rain barrel then found out my parents have the same tanks but had roundup in them. Think it'd be ok to use if I rinse it out a few times. Maybe toss some borax or something in there.

Glyphosate binds strongly and rapidly to soil particles, and is degraded by soil microorganisms. After rinsing, fill with water and add a good amount of dirt. Alternatively, "paint" the tank's interior with mud.
This should make the tank safe for plant use.
nanuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2016, 09:39 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanuk View Post
Glyphosate binds strongly and rapidly to soil particles, and is degraded by soil microorganisms. After rinsing, fill with water and add a good amount of dirt. Alternatively, "paint" the tank's interior with mud.
This should make the tank safe for plant use.
Thank you.

Would there be any worries of it permeating the plastic? My wife's really concerned.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2016, 10:23 PM   #4

Quote:
Thank you.

Would there be any worries of it permeating the plastic? My wife's really concerned.

I can't see why a company would have used a permeable tank for their product.

Round-up contains detergents as surfactants. If you see no foaming after rinsing, you are good. You will likely never reach an effective dose of glyphosate in you rain water even if you don't rinse the tank.
listo likes this.
Old 06-14-2016, 10:25 PM   #5

Quote:
I can't see why a company would have used a permeable tank for their product.

Round-up contains detergents as surfactants. If you see no foaming after rinsing, you are good. You will likely never reach an effective dose of glyphosate in you rain water even if you don't rinse the tank.
That's what I was thinking. Just needed someone else to reassure her.

Old 06-19-2016, 11:39 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 60

Quote:

Absolutely not, do not even consider it, at all. I am really worried that your parents are using 250 gallons of roundup at a time as well.
TheRatKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 12:10 PM   #7
JUSTA MEMBER

Rewards Points: 276

My first question is.

What do you plan to do with the collected water?

If for consumption, No way, would I ever drink this .

If watering flowers and grass, probably ok.

For a garden see above.

ED
de-nagorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 12:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRatKing View Post
Absolutely not, do not even consider it, at all. I am really worried that your parents are using 250 gallons of roundup at a time as well.
I respect your opinion on do-not-use the tank, and I am sure the original poster will consider it, but 250 gallons of round-up is not a large quantity in farming terms. Almost the entire crop of corn, cotton and soy in the US and elsewhere is treated with glyphosate. Apparently the parents did not use the 250 gallons to treat their lawn...
de-nagorg likes this.
Old 06-19-2016, 12:16 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by de-nagorg View Post
My first question is.

What do you plan to do with the collected water?

If for consumption, No way, would I ever drink this .

If watering flowers and grass, probably ok.

For a garden see above.

ED
It is my understanding that the original poster's question was about collecting the water for garden use. For human consumption, as de-nagorg put it, NO!
Old 06-19-2016, 12:22 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 60

Quote:
I respect your opinion on do-not-use the tank, and I am sure the original poster will consider it, but 250 gallons of round-up is not a large quantity in farming terms. Almost the entire crop of corn, cotton and soy in the US and elsewhere is treated with glyphosate. Apparently the parents did not use the 250 gallons to treat their lawn...
This is my point exactly, commercial applications of roundup are killing the soil. 250 gallons is a lot, and you're right in large scale farming applications it isn't much as other people use thousands of gallons. Not to mention that handling chemicals as well as prolonged exposure to chemicals will have a negative impact on your health. Monsanto is an awful corporation and I would never suggest supporting them, but I understand the predicament large scale farms are running into because they've relied on a chemical for so long that it is impossible to fix their soil and stop using roundup.
TheRatKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 08:40 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 129

Which is of course why I continue to search out locally grown produce where I know the farmers practice and buy organic when ever possible .
jimn01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 10:09 AM   #12
A Little Of Everything

Rewards Points: 1,458

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRatKing View Post
This is my point exactly, commercial applications of roundup are killing the soil. 250 gallons is a lot, and you're right in large scale farming applications it isn't much as other people use thousands of gallons. Not to mention that handling chemicals as well as prolonged exposure to chemicals will have a negative impact on your health. Monsanto is an awful corporation and I would never suggest supporting them, but I understand the predicament large scale farms are running into because they've relied on a chemical for so long that it is impossible to fix their soil and stop using roundup.
I have a long family history in farming.

What you are saying - and the organic industry sources from which you are getting your information - is inaccurate.

Last edited by DrHicks; 08-19-2016 at 10:14 AM.
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 10:12 AM   #13
A Little Of Everything

Rewards Points: 1,458

Quote:
Glyphosate (RoundUp) dissipates rapidly, so there is probably no problem here.

However, if you are able, I would advise rinsing the tank thoroughly, then give it a test. Fill the tank with water (after you've rinsed it), then fill a bucket with the water that is in the tank. Spread that water over a grassy or weedy area you don't care about. See what happens. If the foliage wilts, you know you still have glyphosate in the tank. *Note that glyphosate typically takes a 7-10 days to kill foliage.
listo likes this.
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement