Replace Shrubs Or Wait? - Gardening Forum - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care > Gardening Forum

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-24-2014, 08:31 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 500

Replace shrubs or wait?

After a long, rough WI winter these shrubs took a beating. Should I wait and see what happens or are they done?

I forget the name of the first shrub, but the other two I have on one corner of my home.
Attached Thumbnails
Replace shrubs or wait?-image-3283408458.jpg   Replace shrubs or wait?-image-100382739.jpg   Replace shrubs or wait?-image-3288062630.jpg  
dinosaur1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2014, 09:50 AM   #2

Here are some better pics of the shrubs.
Attached Thumbnails
Replace shrubs or wait?-image-3612525134.jpg   Replace shrubs or wait?-image-402194106.jpg   Replace shrubs or wait?-image-294298941.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2014, 10:27 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 188

I think they'll make it with some TLC.
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2014, 11:22 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

Brown leaves are just a hint of the damage that may have resulted from the cold. All those leaves that are damaged, they’re probably going to shed, when they shed you can clean them up and get them out of the area just in case there are any fungal spores, but for the most part they’re going to shed those leaves and push new growth. So if you prune back anything that’s damaged you may be pruning back live growth for this year.

Wait a few weeks or more before making any decisions. As the weather warms up, plant portions often continue to decline. You may notice stems cracking and bark peeling away as further indication of the cold damage. By the end of this month the extent of the cold damage can probably be detected. Use a knife to scrape along the stems until you find green tissue. This is normally the point where the plant can begin new growth. For some shrubs, the green stems may be found only at the ground. Given time, even these plants can recover rapidly if they have a well-established root systems. Check several branches if you see a good amount of green give it some TLC and let it grow.

Last edited by Indepspirit; 05-24-2014 at 11:26 AM.
Indepspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 11:29 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indepspirit
Brown leaves are just a hint of the damage that may have resulted from the cold. All those leaves that are damaged, they’re probably going to shed, when they shed you can clean them up and get them out of the area just in case there are any fungal spores, but for the most part they’re going to shed those leaves and push new growth. So if you prune back anything that’s damaged you may be pruning back live growth for this year. Wait a few weeks or more before making any decisions. As the weather warms up, plant portions often continue to decline. You may notice stems cracking and bark peeling away as further indication of the cold damage. By the end of this month the extent of the cold damage can probably be detected. Use a knife to scrape along the stems until you find green tissue. This is normally the point where the plant can begin new growth. For some shrubs, the green stems may be found only at the ground. Given time, even these plants can recover rapidly if they have a well-established root systems. Check several branches if you see a good amount of green give it some TLC and let it grow.

So your saying I should leave these blue junipers as is ....even the one that barely has any growth? One I cut back the dead portion there's nothing left.
Old 05-24-2014, 12:30 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur1 View Post
So your saying I should leave these blue junipers as is ....even the one that barely has any growth? One I cut back the dead portion there's nothing left.
Since the winter was harder this year I would give them time to "warm up". Around the first week of June see how much green is left on the branches under the bark. If there is still a good amount of green underneath it's still alive and should push out new growth. If there is little green then replace them. Pruning them will not help because when you cut evergreens back to sticks they usually stay that way. If the brown is falling off normally just remove it from the ground. They may not completely fill out this summer so if you are worried about the looks of them for the summer then you might want to replace them.
Indepspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement