Protecting Blackberry Bush - Gardening Forum - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care > Gardening Forum

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-30-2016, 05:40 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 590

Protecting blackberry bush

I planted a blackberry bush this year and it has shot up to about 5' tall already. I figured I probably planted a little to late so I didn't expect much from it. I ended up with about 8 green berries and one turned black and ready to eat only to have something take it over night before I got a chance to pick it. Now the other 7 berries have turned bright red and are going to ripen so I need to do something to protect them. I thought about a tomato cage but I don't think they are tall enough or wide enough judging by how fast this thing grew. I have 2 stakes beside the plant with wire to keep the plant upright but it out grew those already. I'm thinking 4 longer stakes and maybe some chicken wire around the entire thing but I want easy access to the berries when they are ready. Any ideas? I don't know what took the first one but I'm guessing a rabbit since I've has so many in my yard this year.
nikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2016, 07:49 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 6,122

Re: Protecting blackberry bush

I would suspect a bird got it, berries are a seasonal delicacy for them. Rabbits tend to like green things, clover, grass, and new garden plants. If this is the first year for that black berry bush then you have 2 more years if memory serves me. I know there is a production cycle from first year to peak and then they die off. Each year they will put out new starts which you can transplant to contain or relocate your patch.

As for protecting those few remaining berries a wire cage might work, but will cost more than the berries are worth. You might tie some cheese cloth around the area and hope it scares whatever it is off.

Bud
Bud9051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2016, 09:30 PM   #3
JUSTA MEMBER

Rewards Points: 4,022

I'm thinkin a portable dog run, the kind that are easily taken apart in sections so you can move the area around your yard.

And depending on the size of the varmint taking your berries, you could hang some camouflage netting from it to prevent infiltration by the varmint.

ED
de-nagorg is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2016, 09:47 PM   #4

Would a fake owl work? The Bush is right beside my house in the flower bed so I could put a fake owl right in front of it I'd that would work
Old 07-30-2016, 09:58 PM   #5
JUSTA MEMBER

Rewards Points: 4,022

It certainly might, at least until they realized that the OWL never moved.

Or a rubber SNAKE.

ED
de-nagorg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 06:00 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 6,997

You seldom get a crop the first year. The new shoots that come up make next years berries and the ones that bore fruit this year should be removed at the end of the season.

A few T-posts and a few strands of wire between them are all you need to support the plant. Up to 6 feet tall is normal for a cultivated plant in good soil.

A screen cover per above is about the only protection possible from the birds. Commercial growers often use netting or very light weigh canvas. I found it easier to just plant a few extra plants.
Old 07-31-2016, 06:08 AM   #7

Pardon the pun, but there is a pecking order in the bird world. We use a stuffed owl to hunt crows as crows will attack owls. Small birds can often be seen chasing larger birds.

I've seen stuffed owls used to chase pigeons away with limited success, but with your single plant and not knowing what or where the thief is coming from chances are limited it will help.

Mice or squirrels are another possibility.

Bud
Old 07-31-2016, 07:15 AM   #8

This one had another shoot with green berries when I first planted it but it just randomly died and I cut it off which is why I didn't expect much this year. How do get new plants from this one? It's a Thornless bush from lowes so I'm guessing it's a hybrid to remove the thorns if that makes a difference.
Old 07-31-2016, 07:27 AM   #9

I started at age 9 (60 years ago) picking wild blackberries among others and I'm was not fortunate enough to run into any thronless ones. Between the thorns and the yellow jackets we had a lot of action. But the neighborhood kids all loved my mom's blackberry pies so she made a deal. Bring her the blackberries and she would keep half and make the rest into pies for them. She loved to bake and they loved the pies.

Anyway, I have no idea whether that hybrid will send out new shoots. Typically you would just see new plants sprouting up a few inches away from the main plant. If you don't see any you may have to try rooting some shoots.

If your plant was grafted to another root you may need to trim shoots that grow from the old root. Not my expertise but have lost a couple of grafted plants to regrowth of the mother root.

You should be able to find some reading on what you have for a better explanation.

BTW it takes a lot of blackberries to make a pie.

Bud
Old 07-31-2016, 07:54 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 6,997

The dead one may come back from the roots. Fall is the time to plant.

Never grew the thornless but this article makes it sound about the same: http://homeguides.sfgate.com/grow-th...ies-35049.html

and I would consider this one to be an authority site: http://www.starkbros.com/growing-gui...ckberry-plants
Sponsored Links
Advertisement