Plants You Wish You Hadn't Planted, Or Let Grow - Gardening Forum - Page 2 - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care > Gardening Forum

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree27Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes
Old 06-17-2019, 05:20 AM   #16
Naildriver
 
chandler48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Young Harris, Georgia
Posts: 6,930
Rewards Points: 4,222
Default

Re: plants you wish you hadn't planted, or let grow


Someone asked me how to trim a Crepe Myrtle. I told them "with a backhoe". Very invasive.
profdlp and jbrah like this.
__________________
Larry......
Half of Communications is Listening, and You can't Listen with your Mouth.
chandler48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-17-2019, 07:16 AM   #17
Member
 
DoomsDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Coastal Southern California
Posts: 2,888
Rewards Points: 5,520
Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by chandler48 View Post
Someone asked me how to trim a Crepe Myrtle. I told them "with a backhoe". Very invasive.
Very interesting!

We love crepe myrtles out here as a nice, genteel small tree or big shrub beloved for its summer blossoms. They’re an easy grow take both heat and cold but they stay put.

Do CM pop up from seeds where you are? Or do they send out runners or something like it?

I’m really curious!
DoomsDave is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-17-2019, 08:50 AM   #18
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Central Kentucky
Posts: 3,535
Rewards Points: 6,993
Default

Re: plants you wish you hadn't planted, or let grow


The most innocent looking little plant that the birds will plant for you is Chinese (or Bush) Honeysuckle.



I've been fighting that beast on various properties for 35 years.
__________________
Colbyt
Retired drapery and home furnishings installer.
Colbyt is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-17-2019, 08:54 AM   #19
Member
 
DoomsDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Coastal Southern California
Posts: 2,888
Rewards Points: 5,520
Default

Re: plants you wish you hadn't planted, or let grow


Quote:
Originally Posted by Colbyt View Post
The most innocent looking little plant that the birds will plant for you is Chinese (or Bush) Honeysuckle.



I've been fighting that beast on various properties for 35 years.
Is this it? Or at least look like it? Honeysuckle is a name given to a number of different plants.
Attached Thumbnails
plants you wish you hadn't planted, or let grow-800px-honeysuckle-2.jpg  
DoomsDave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 08:56 AM   #20
Member
 
DoomsDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Coastal Southern California
Posts: 2,888
Rewards Points: 5,520
Default

Re: plants you wish you hadn't planted, or let grow


Quote:
Originally Posted by chandler48 View Post
Frost doesn't seem to mess with the blossoms as they come on late enough to miss it, but you may have a point. They just never develop the fruit.
As @Oso954 notes, kiwi vines are a bit picky in getting to fruit. I've heard others complain about the same thing. It's one of those plants that bears well in a select few places, even if it's rampant (but barren) in others.
DoomsDave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 01:20 PM   #21
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Central Kentucky
Posts: 3,535
Rewards Points: 6,993
Default

Re: plants you wish you hadn't planted, or let grow


Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomsDave View Post
Is this it? Or at least look like it? Honeysuckle is a name given to a number of different plants.



Here is a picture of the beast. I'll let you decide. Those bloom make red berries that the birds eat.
Attached Thumbnails
plants you wish you hadn't planted, or let grow-hneysuckle.jpg  
DoomsDave likes this.
__________________
Colbyt
Retired drapery and home furnishings installer.
Colbyt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 03:18 PM   #22
Naildriver
 
chandler48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Young Harris, Georgia
Posts: 6,930
Rewards Points: 4,222
Default

Re: plants you wish you hadn't planted, or let grow


@DoomsDave , they send out runners. I guess they are similar to rhysomes. From the main tree/bush you will get a thousand small ones all over the place.

Wifey detests Japanese Honeysuckle. It is so invasive here we had our local Extension Service send student "volunteers" to paint Round UP on the leaves, literally. One application on one leaf of Round Up with an artist's brush, and it died and never returned. Sure beats spraying it liberally as you see on horror stories.
jbrah and DoomsDave like this.
__________________
Larry......
Half of Communications is Listening, and You can't Listen with your Mouth.
chandler48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 03:46 PM   #23
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Maine
Posts: 7,983
Rewards Points: 6,088
Default

Re: plants you wish you hadn't planted, or let grow


I bought a load of topsoil from a contractor doing other work, thinking he had leftover from another job. Ended up looking like river bottom, mostly sand AND some variety of horsetail. Of course I didn't discover the horsetail until after I had used that topsoil all around my house. Painting each plant may be the only way to get rid of this stuff.

I recently used roundup in some areas where the HT also lives so will see if it killed the beast. Vinegar and salt next to the house in the puppy area killed everything but the HT.

Bud
__________________
I volunteer my help and opinions, but you are responsible for what YOU choose to do with that information.
Bud9051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 03:52 PM   #24
Member
 
Mystriss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Alaska
Posts: 1,682
Rewards Points: 3,360
Default

Re: plants you wish you hadn't planted, or let grow


Horsetail's are fossils, many species in the genus spore rather than use underground off-shoots. Painting the top might stop the spore variety, but the other ones you gotta dig out the roots entirely to kill em off :/



My least favorite plants up here in Alaska are the wild roses, devils clubs, and (I think it's female) cottonwood's. I'm meh on dandelions as well.
DoomsDave likes this.
__________________

(I'm not a professional, just a homeowner who dabbles in a bit of everything DIY)
Mystriss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 06:34 PM   #25
Naildriver
 
chandler48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Young Harris, Georgia
Posts: 6,930
Rewards Points: 4,222
Default

Re: plants you wish you hadn't planted, or let grow


Wifey is a Master Naturalist (whatever that is) and works with the University of Georgia Extension service as a researcher and writer. Her latest article was about what we call Musk Thistle. It goes under several different names, but whatever you call it, you don't want it growing on your property of any adjacent property. It propagates like dandelions. The leaves and stalk have stickers that will penetrate the heaviest leather glove. If left to grow each plant can produce 1200+ just like it. I have seen it decimate cattle fields. Cows won't go near it. One way of keeping it in check is to place a trash bag over the head and cut the stalk about half way, making sure the "blow its" don't get loose. Then you can dig up the remainder. There is a thistle weevil that will kill it. It builds a cocoon around each flower and suffocates the plant keeping from spreading. It only thrives on Musk thistle and moves from field to field during its lifetime.
Attached Thumbnails
plants you wish you hadn't planted, or let grow-musk-thistle.jpg  
jbrah and DoomsDave like this.
__________________
Larry......
Half of Communications is Listening, and You can't Listen with your Mouth.
chandler48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 08:25 PM   #26
Member
 
DoomsDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Coastal Southern California
Posts: 2,888
Rewards Points: 5,520
Default

Re: plants you wish you hadn't planted, or let grow


Quote:
Originally Posted by chandler48 View Post
@DoomsDave , they send out runners. I guess they are similar to rhysomes. From the main tree/bush you will get a thousand small ones all over the place.

Wifey detests Japanese Honeysuckle. It is so invasive here we had our local Extension Service send student "volunteers" to paint Round UP on the leaves, literally. One application on one leaf of Round Up with an artist's brush, and it died and never returned. Sure beats spraying it liberally as you see on horror stories.
Whoa, dang!

That's Lagerstromea indica?
DoomsDave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 04:10 AM   #27
Naildriver
 
chandler48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Young Harris, Georgia
Posts: 6,930
Rewards Points: 4,222
Default

Re: plants you wish you hadn't planted, or let grow


According to Invasive.org https://www.invasiveplantatlas.org/s....html?sub=6931
DoomsDave likes this.
__________________
Larry......
Half of Communications is Listening, and You can't Listen with your Mouth.
chandler48 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chandler48 For This Useful Post:
DoomsDave (06-18-2019)
Old 06-18-2019, 09:20 AM   #28
Member
 
DoomsDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Coastal Southern California
Posts: 2,888
Rewards Points: 5,520
Default

Re: plants you wish you hadn't planted, or let grow


Quote:
Originally Posted by chandler48 View Post
I'll sure know what NOT to suggest in some parts of the country for small trees!

Yike.
DoomsDave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 09:23 AM   #29
Member
 
DoomsDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Coastal Southern California
Posts: 2,888
Rewards Points: 5,520
Default

Re: plants you wish you hadn't planted, or let grow


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystriss View Post
Horsetail's are fossils, many species in the genus spore rather than use underground off-shoots. Painting the top might stop the spore variety, but the other ones you gotta dig out the roots entirely to kill em off :/



My least favorite plants up here in Alaska are the wild roses, devils clubs, and (I think it's female) cottonwood's. I'm meh on dandelions as well.
I had a now-deceased friend who lived up the hill from me, and he planted some horsetails at his place.

"Dude," I said, shaking my head
"What?" he said, "Bad idea?"
"Yes, very very very."

Weed killers won't kill it, that I know of. If someone here has something that works, tell me what it is. Might get a nice Sunday dinner for my handy helper and me out of it . . . .

This is the same plant, supposedly giant versions of which coal came from.
DoomsDave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 09:24 AM   #30
Member
 
DoomsDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Coastal Southern California
Posts: 2,888
Rewards Points: 5,520
Default

Re: plants you wish you hadn't planted, or let grow


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud9051 View Post
I bought a load of topsoil from a contractor doing other work, thinking he had leftover from another job. Ended up looking like river bottom, mostly sand AND some variety of horsetail. Of course I didn't discover the horsetail until after I had used that topsoil all around my house. Painting each plant may be the only way to get rid of this stuff.

I recently used roundup in some areas where the HT also lives so will see if it killed the beast. Vinegar and salt next to the house in the puppy area killed everything but the HT.

Bud
I've not found glyphosate (Roundup, Kleenup, etc.) to work on HT at all.

BAD PIZZA!
DoomsDave is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Top of Page | View New Posts