Perennial Plant Recommendation - Gardening Forum - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care > Gardening Forum

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-11-2015, 01:58 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2,038

perennial plant recommendation

Hello to All,

Looking to replace some holly ferns that burned-up in the Hou summer heat and direct sunlight.

Receives sun from early morning to about 2-230pm, then shaded from fence. Has irrigation system. Soil is clay, but conditioned and continuing to amend w organics.

Looking for a recommendation on 1 gal perennials that can w stand heat but keep a low profile in height and expansion. Also desire color as well.
Any and all recommendations would be appreciated...if you have ques, fire away.

regards,
tstex
tstex is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2015, 02:10 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 5,348

I like Phlox as it stays in one place, blooms from May to Frost and is about 24-30 " high. You'd need to check if it would flourish in your region.
Very few of my perennials bloom through out the season. I just plant things with a stutter step blooming sequence.
Right now it's the Shasta daisy's, Black eyed Susan's, Asters, mums and crape myrtles. An the phloxes.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron6519 For This Useful Post:
tstex (09-14-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2015, 09:10 AM   #3

Thanks Ron - how do these do in the heat? We can get up to 100-108 in summer.

regards,
tstex
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2015, 09:46 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 5,348

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstex View Post
Thanks Ron - how do these do in the heat? We can get up to 100-108 in summer.

regards,
tstex
You local garden centers will be a good source. If you see them sold in your area, they should do okay.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 10:22 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,480

Check with local nurseries for a few of the many different cultivars of Euonymus Japonica that may satisfy your landscape.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 10:24 AM   #6

Thank you gentlemen
Old 09-15-2015, 08:04 PM   #7

Location: SE Michigan, zone 5/6 depending on winter intensity
Rewards Points: 72

There are a couple new hybrids that might fit your needs.

Bronze Age Yucca turns from green to lilac/violet/purple as temps drop. It's 1 -2' tall and wide., hardy in zones 5 to 9. So it should be able to tolerate Houston's 8b (according to the agricultural zone index) zone.

Silver Hedgehog holly is a holly with yellow, is hard in zones 6 to 9, but it can grow up to 20' tall and 12' wide, although generally shrubs can be pruned to keep them in shape.

Both are dramatic looking plants.

You could also try to deflect some of the sun in that area by planting taller plants in back of the smaller ones, but that would best if that side of the yard faces the south.

Phlox blooms about a month in my zone 5 - 6, and is quite lovely; wild phlox is especially pretty. It can grow into a mass, and can reach heights of 2 - 3 feet, depending on soil and water conditions.

Given that you're in a very hot area, you might want to look at some of the succulents as they hold water better than other perennials.

You could also try to deflect or block some of the hot sun by planting taller perennials or shrubs in back of the smaller plants, but that would work best if that side of the yard faces south.

Last edited by NorthernWinds; 09-15-2015 at 08:13 PM.
NorthernWinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 03:10 PM   #8

Thanks N Winds...I have a few more plants I need and some of your recommendations might wk. I selected the Stella Del Oro Day lily for the sm plant and dwaft blush-pink Nandina for the larger of the two. It's really a reddish pink in color...We havethe soft-tip yucca in our portfolio now. The phlox seems to be a real winner around here too. Our 4 Bird of Paradise plants are getting ready to bloom...have about 2-3 blooms on 3 of them and 1-2 on another...w this cooler weather, maybe they'll last longer than 1 day.

Thanks again to all, tstex
Sponsored Links
Advertisement