New Grass Seed Not Growing At Same Rate - Gardening Forum - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care > Gardening Forum

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Msradell

Old 10-14-2017, 09:28 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,632

New grass seed not growing at same rate

Some big trees had been cut down, and the ground was covered with new grass seed. It was done by contractor.

I guess due to soil quality is quite different from spot to spot, I can see new grass on a few spots, while some grass seed not even germinate.

I have two questions:

1) When new grass (on most spots) reaches 6" and above, I would like to cut it down to 4" (not cutting more than 1/3). But I set mower to 4", I am concerned about those grass grew earlier. When new grass (on most spots) reaches 6", I am sure grass on some earlier spots can reach more than 10". For the first mowing, how can I cut it down from 10" to 4", that is too much. How should I set mower height?

2) I also had over seeding on existing lawn, now existing grass is very tall for mowing, while new grass seed has not germinated yet. Should I wait for new grass seed to reach 6"? Or should I go ahead and mow existing lawn?

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
New grass seed not growing at same rate-img_20171013_174639.jpg  

Last edited by VAer; 10-14-2017 at 09:51 AM.
VAer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2017, 11:01 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 912

Re: New grass seed not growing at same rate

I would go ahead and mow the existing lawn areas but I wouldn't mow the new areas. By looking at your picture looks like the earth that are coming up are the areas in the lower places which would lead me to believe that the places that are coming up better have more moisture. How often have you been watering your new seed? The straw will certainly help retain moisture you still need to water it on a regular basis to help the seed germinate.
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2017, 11:09 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,632

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msradell View Post
I would go ahead and mow the existing lawn areas but I wouldn't mow the new areas. By looking at your picture looks like the earth that are coming up are the areas in the lower places which would lead me to believe that the places that are coming up better have more moisture. How often have you been watering your new seed? The straw will certainly help retain moisture you still need to water it on a regular basis to help the seed germinate.
Only water a few times, it rains often for more than one week.

Do you think I need to pick up leaves?

Thanks.
VAer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2017, 12:19 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 6,056

Grass seeds sprout at different rates. You can use a weed whacker if the few taller grass areas bother you. If you mow over the seeds, the seeds & hay will be sucked up.
Nik333 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 09:29 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 912

If you have very many leaves they will kill the grass below them because the new sprouts won't get sunlight. If you have just a few it's not a problem. Nucleus needs constant moisture to grow properly.
Nik333 likes this.
Advertisement