Need Front Lawn Ideas - Gardening Forum - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care > Gardening Forum

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Cedrus

Old 07-30-2018, 04:28 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 4

Need Front lawn ideas

I'm looking for some ideas to remodel our front lawn. We want to avoid grass because where we live is prone to Drought season. Also the soil is really hard and we have tried to put new lawn in and it failed miserably. We were thinking maybe a desert scene but the area is so large to cover with stones we are worried that it might look too sparse. I was wondering if anyone might have any ideas? Thanks
WildOdyssey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2018, 04:36 PM   #2
Guapo

Rewards Points: 11,950

Re: Need Front lawn ideas

I had a boss who had us brick the entire front yard. We also installed 2 flower beds, one against the house & the other near the sidewalk. If you didn't walk beyond the flower bed, you would never have know that there was no grass.
Guap0_ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Guap0_ For This Useful Post:
WildOdyssey (07-30-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2018, 07:55 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 576

Looks like you get 1/2 day sun...or more ? How about creeping thyme ? Low growing, does not need a lot of water when established...occasional mowing. Will draw bees, however.
WildOdyssey likes this.
Cedrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2018, 08:10 PM   #4

We had the same problem in the backyard and actually we did do stone brick layout back there so we wanted to do something different for the front. The creeping thyme, is that something that you buy pre grown sod chunks or do you start it from scratch with seeds? Do you think it would require certain kind of soil to start it out? I'm really nervous about planting anything in this really hard ground that we have. I saw some pictures and it looks pretty nice as a good filler are the colors random or I'm guessing that that's the blossoming right?
Old 08-02-2018, 08:20 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 78

what planting zone are you in?
mpmp2121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 02:21 PM   #6

Zone 10a
I think the area we have to cover might be too large for creeping thyme without it being really expensive.
Old 08-04-2018, 03:25 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 78

I totally agree with your concern on cost for creeping thyme. I love all thyme varieties, but covering that large a scale with possibly poor quality soil might be a bit much. Growing from seed is tedious and difficult from what I've read in a couple of places, especially in drought conditions. Brass buttons might be more forgiving, or even liriope, but you would need to water beyond rainfall in the first growing seasons.

I think if you're interested in balancing cost with potentially poor soil quality you might intermingle different elements, like edging, decorative border material, xeriscaping plants, gravel or other mulching material. While planning I use washable spray paint (they sell inverted cans at big box stores) to sort of zone out what you would want in different areas. This would help with not needing to amend the soil in so vast an area.

Also something to consider - are you like me, where you're willing to spend many months implementing a plan, with lots of maintenance, adding on, etc. - or are you wanting to get something done in one shot that's virtually no maintenance?

If you're looking to quickly eliminate the dead sod and start "shrinking" the area, perhaps landscape cloth, edging material based on cost and labor (ie plastic versus rubber versus stone), and mulch or gravel in a perimeter around the areas you've already got planted and well developed might be a quick no-maintenance solution.

I think I'd put in some beds on either side of the walkway using a low-heat natural mulch, then start planting low-water need perennial grasses and such - a relatively small area to mediate the soil, dig up grass, and something nice to break up the stretch while I figured out the rest of it. Try searching by zone 10 and low water needs, and seeing what comes up -
https://www.monrovia.com/plant-catal...ttle-bluestem/
http://www.santarosagardens.com/Agap...-p/aga-sto.htm
http://www.santarosagardens.com/Agastache-p/aga-cor.htm

If you're truly interested in amending that much soil and mass-planting the area, I think you should consult a master gardener in your area, the agricultural dept. a local college, county agriculture office, or a locally-owned nursery. I go to a gent at a small nursery with all my ideas and planning questions. He's interested in selling me products that have me returning year after year, and quite knowledgeable.
mpmp2121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement