Mowing Right After Applying Non-liquid Lawn Weed Control? - Gardening Forum - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care > Gardening Forum

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By HenryMac
  • 1 Post By DoomsDave

Old 07-14-2019, 01:53 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,562

Mowing right after applying non-liquid Lawn Weed Control?

I have just applied lawn weed control(liquid + pump sprayer) a few days ago, but maybe I did not buy the right product to include killing crabgrass (another weed I don't know the name).

Now I would like to apply a different kind of weed control (non-liquid), for below product link, does mowing matter for apply such kind of non-liquid weed killer? Can I mow the lawn right before or right after applying the weed killer?

I know for liquid weed killer, it should hold off mowing for about 2 days after applying weed killer and allowing time to work through. It should wait a few days if applying after mowing, and wait for weed to have enough leaves for contract, in order to see the best result.

Thanks.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/BioAdvan...416S/303031952
VAer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2019, 02:00 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,002

Re: Mowing right after applying non-liquid Lawn Weed Control?

The SDS for the product states:

May cause mild eye irritation. Inhalation of dust may cause mild respiratory irritation. May be harmful if swallowed or in contact with skin. Ingestion may cause intestinal upset with nausea and vomiting.

https://images.homedepot-static.com/...27ba31e78c.pdf

So mowing after application is a bad idea. I personally would mow, then apply, and not mow again until it has either rained or you have watered the yard.
Nik333 likes this.
HenryMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2019, 02:06 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryMac View Post
The SDS for the product states:

May cause mild eye irritation. Inhalation of dust may cause mild respiratory irritation. May be harmful if swallowed or in contact with skin. Ingestion may cause intestinal upset with nausea and vomiting.

https://images.homedepot-static.com/...27ba31e78c.pdf

So mowing after application is a bad idea. I personally would mow, then apply, and not mow again until it has either rained or you have watered the yard.
Thanks. I never thought of eye irritation issue. The intention of my question is: does mowing (either right before or right after) affect the weed control result? As for liquid weed control, it is not good to apply liquid weed control right before mowing (don't mow after applying for about two days and let it work through) or right after mowing (don't mow before applying and keep the weed leaves on for liquid contract, in order for best result).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2019, 02:14 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAer View Post
Thanks. I never thought of eye irritation issue. The intention of my question is: does mowing (either right before or right after) affect the weed control result? As for liquid weed control, it is not good to apply liquid weed control right before mowing (don't mow after applying for about two days and let it work through) or right after mowing (don't mow before applying and keep the weed leaves on for liquid contract, in order for best result).
Did you read the questions and answers on Home Depot's site?

They recommend applying this in the morning while there is dew on the grass.

That pretty much answers the mowing question.
Old 07-14-2019, 02:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Did you read the questions and answers on Home Depot's site?

They recommend applying this in the morning while there is dew on the grass.

That pretty much answers the mowing question.
How does morning dew related to mowing? First, for weekdays, I leave home in the early morning; secondly, it is summer, sometime well above 90F, I don't think there is dew every day.
Old 07-14-2019, 02:43 PM   #6

Typically it's not ideal to mow when the grass is wet.

If there isn't any dew, do a light watering and then apply the product.
Old 07-14-2019, 02:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Typically it's not ideal to mow when the grass is wet.
Thanks. Actually, when I read the question/answer, I realized that I was wrong: I mistakenly thought for such kind of non-liquid weed control, I need watering the chemical product and let it fully melt into soil and work through root.

Now it appears to me that, it is same as liquid weed control, it also work through leave contact. Now I may just buy the liquid weed control again, maybe I will go with weed B gon. If it has to work through leave contact, why no liquid weed control, that guaranteed leave contact.

Thanks.

Last edited by VAer; 07-14-2019 at 02:53 PM.
Old 07-23-2019, 10:10 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAer View Post
I have just applied lawn weed control(liquid + pump sprayer) a few days ago, but maybe I did not buy the right product to include killing crabgrass (another weed I don't know the name).

I am not expert at crabgrass control. But I have found that to kill what is already growing above the soil, moisture is very important. Best to have soil very well watered the day before, apply product, wait 24 hours and water again. It will take what seems like weeks for the plants to start to kill off. Once you see that, I'd apply another round of product. The same product also works on grassy sandburs (stickers that grow on stems). But it does take many days to kill the sandbur plants which seem to be able to product hardened sandburs almost overnight.
fuzzmanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 09:06 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 5,520

Hold off on mowing! Maybe a few days, even a whole week.

Give the magic juice of death time to do its work on the target. Well, okay, if the lawn's a little uncut looking for a little while, so what? It'll look spiffier than ever when the weeds die.
Dave Sal likes this.
DoomsDave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 12:39 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,814

Most crabgrass killer is a pre-emergent type of solution. Kind of like a condom for crabgrass. It prevents it's seed from growing. (Or would that be more like the pill for crabgrass?) by laying down a protective barrier. It also would prevent other seeds from growing like grass seeds.

It is best to apply it early in the spring before the Lilacs bloom. (a general rule of thumb) or as indicated on the package.

Anything used to kill crabgrass has been hard to find because what would kill crabgrass would also kill the lawn. That is until recently. They have come up with more effective and more selective weed killers.

Like Bayer's BioAdvanced line of lawn care products, Scott's and others.

But the best way to get rid of crabgrass is to prevent it from growing in the first place. By using a preemergent.
ktownskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 12:19 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 5,520

I remember back in the 80s Scotts used to make this killer crabgrass killer, which mostly didn't hurt the grass. Apply when the lawn was moist, and wait a bit and the crabgrass would end up, as my dad would say "deader'n Kelsey's nuts."
DoomsDave is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement