Metal Raised Garden Beds - Gardening Forum - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care > Gardening Forum

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By wmrawls

Old 06-24-2016, 01:57 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 14

Metal Raised Garden Beds

I've been gardening since I was so young I can't rember when. My dad always used the traditional method with a yard tratcor or a traditonal tiller. Over the years I observed that the tradional method was not as enjoyable as when I was younger and I watched my dad decline to the point where he could not garden at all. I kind of put my shovel up for a few years and then I watched Mel Bartholomew on the boob tube and became a convert to the square foot method of rasied bed gardening. Over the years I have tried different medium to make my raised beds and one by one was disapointed in the various materials. Wood rots, concrete block is heavy and is not attractive, bales of hay kind of sorta work but break down rather quickly and last year a friend pointed me to a web site that does nothing but provide Galvanized Sheeting pre cut and drilled for raised beds. I am not saying they are cheap but the look and results are certainly everything I could want. The nake of the company / website is Metal Garden Beds...do a bing search you will easily find them. I will upload some pictures and you can judge for your self. By the way we were picking squash 3 weeks ago and tomatoes / cuckes and hot peppers 2 weeks back and now have a bumber crop. Time to make salsa and sauces.
Hope you enjoy the pictures and if you follow up I think you will be happy with the quality. The Gnomes are curtesy of the Grandkids who get out in the garden with me.
Attached Thumbnails
Metal Raised Garden Beds-raised-beds-early-june-2.jpg   Metal Raised Garden Beds-rawls-garden-beds.jpg   Metal Raised Garden Beds-raised-beds-early-june.jpg  
de-nagorg likes this.
wmrawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2016, 04:29 PM   #2
JUSTA MEMBER

Rewards Points: 4,030

Re: Metal Raised Garden Beds

Interesting.

My grandmother used to use oval galvanized horse troughs for her raised garden. They looked very similar to those.

And were available at every feed store, She placed them on old cross ties to raise them up.

This was in the late 50's, early 60's.

ED
de-nagorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2016, 05:02 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 6,128

Those do look nice.

I'm also just getting back into a small garden after many years. Mom and dad always had one and it really added to the pantry. Of course we no longer need the additional food, but it is a rewarding hobby and the food does taste extremely good.

This year I have just a couple of small flat patches, didn't get started early enough for a raised bed. But what I'm thinking of are ones where I can remove the ends to allow a tiller or (5') my tractor to get in there at end of season to flip the soil. Maybe just lazy in my old age, but getting in there with a shovel would take some of the joy out of the project.

Thanks for the pictures.

Bud
Bud9051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2016, 06:11 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 6,997

I am s firm believer in the bio intensive method made popular in the US by Mel. The yields from a small space can be fantastic.

Those look a little deep and I would have to paint them. I personally would not care to see that much shine in my yard. The concept is great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement