Low Water Pressure In Sprinklers - Gardening Forum - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care > Gardening Forum

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes
Old 06-11-2019, 03:09 PM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: NoCal, Bay Area, CA
Posts: 21
Rewards Points: 42
Question

Low water pressure in sprinklers


Hi DIYers!
I have water pressure issue in a few of my zones. How do you suggest tackling this problem?

Just an FYI, I fixed one of the zone (by luck) in finding a bad connector to one of the the sprinkler, pressure was find after replacement. I asked a sprinkler pro and he cost $3000...
phentium3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-11-2019, 04:11 PM   #2
A "Handy Husband"
 
rjniles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: South Carolina Low Country
Posts: 9,922
Rewards Points: 642
Default

Re: Low water pressure in sprinklers


2 reasons

1 too many heads on the zone

2 underground leak in the zone.

Is the supply a well or city water,?

Sent from my RCT6213W22 using Tapatalk
__________________
My electrical answers are based on 2014 NEC, you may have local amendments.

Location: Coastal South Carolina
rjniles is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-12-2019, 12:50 PM   #3
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: NoCal, Bay Area, CA
Posts: 21
Rewards Points: 42
Default

Re: Low water pressure in sprinklers


Water is from the city. But finding a leak/break will be very tough! I will check to see how may heads. What is the recommended heads per zone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjniles View Post
2 reasons

1 too many heads on the zone

2 underground leak in the zone.

Is the supply a well or city water,?

Sent from my RCT6213W22 using Tapatalk
phentium3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-12-2019, 03:47 PM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,051
Rewards Points: 3,478
Default

Re: Low water pressure in sprinklers


Quote:
Originally Posted by phentium3 View Post
Water is from the city. But finding a leak/break will be very tough! I will check to see how may heads. What is the recommended heads per zone?

How many heads per zone is based on water pressure, pipe sizing, and the GPM flow rate of each head. If the zones worked before and don't work now, it's likely an underground leak. Turn the offending zone on and walk around the yard to see if water is puddling or seeping up from the ground near the heads, or along the path the pipes are likely to take.
LawnGuyLandSparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 04:19 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Waseca, MN
Posts: 492
Rewards Points: 917
Default

Re: Low water pressure in sprinklers


Weakest point in the system is the riser "T". Sprinklers get run over and stepped on which can damage the connection underground.
If you can't find the leak by walking the system you will have to set up some sort of experiment to narrow it down. If you can unscrew all the heads in the zone you can put a plug or cap on each riser then turn on the water. Now the leak will have full pressure and be easier to find.
Harder way is to dig down to the midpoint of the zone, cut the pipe and cap it. Turn on the zone to see if the upstream half has good pressure or not. This narrows it down to which half has the leak.
What kind of pipe is in the bad zones? I ask because black poly is flexible and rarely leaks. It can handle being driven over by vehicles for example. If PVC then there could be a crack anywhere it was driven over plus there are couplings that could have separated.
chiraldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 12:46 PM   #6
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: NoCal, Bay Area, CA
Posts: 21
Rewards Points: 42
Default

Re: Low water pressure in sprinklers


I have the white PVC pipe. The bad part for me; it's in the difficult part of the yard, (4-5) 80' pines trees, 30' maples, and many shrubs, so working on it is difficult. I will use your points and narrow as best as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiraldude View Post
Weakest point in the system is the riser "T". Sprinklers get run over and stepped on which can damage the connection underground.
If you can't find the leak by walking the system you will have to set up some sort of experiment to narrow it down. If you can unscrew all the heads in the zone you can put a plug or cap on each riser then turn on the water. Now the leak will have full pressure and be easier to find.
Harder way is to dig down to the midpoint of the zone, cut the pipe and cap it. Turn on the zone to see if the upstream half has good pressure or not. This narrows it down to which half has the leak.
What kind of pipe is in the bad zones? I ask because black poly is flexible and rarely leaks. It can handle being driven over by vehicles for example. If PVC then there could be a crack anywhere it was driven over plus there are couplings that could have separated.
phentium3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 12:25 AM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Coastal NC
Posts: 65
Rewards Points: 130
Default

Re: Low water pressure in sprinklers


Deleted

Last edited by mrlabradog; 06-20-2019 at 12:33 AM.
mrlabradog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 12:26 AM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Coastal NC
Posts: 65
Rewards Points: 130
Default

Re: Low water pressure in sprinklers


Quote:
Originally Posted by phentium3 View Post
I have the white PVC pipe. The bad part for me; it's in the difficult part of the yard, (4-5) 80' pines trees, 30' maples, and many shrubs, so working on it is difficult. I will use your points and narrow as best as possible.

A root from one of those trees could have also damaged the line. I have the same problem with the supply line from the city's water meter to my house. Whoever ran the line to the house placed in within 5 feet of a huge live oak. I have lost water pressure and I'm digging up the line, buried in all those roots, and replacing it. I'm getting through about 10 feet per day. I should reach the end by Christmas.
mrlabradog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 07:41 AM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 298
Rewards Points: 576
Default

Re: Low water pressure in sprinklers


OP.....Can you get to your water meter and watch the dial when no water is running... in the house or outside the house ? Do you have a half-acre or so ? How many stations on your timer...and how many heads total ?
Cedrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Top of Page | View New Posts