Lawn/Landscape Services - Gardening Forum - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care > Gardening Forum

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By mark sr
  • 1 Post By TarheelTerp

Old 03-04-2019, 06:38 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 378

Lawn/Landscape Services

It seems that since the middle 1980's these businesses have multiplied to, in my opinion, the nuisance level. This would be those that mostly mow grass for individuals. The nuisance to me is not only the noise their ZTR's make with the blades running but also the noise of the gas powered string trimmers and blowers. The other nuisance is the apparent spread of undesirable growth, weeds.

Until the last 10 years around here you never saw yards with big patches of clover or Johnson grass but that is becoming very common now. Hardy anyone takes care of their lawn themselves, they just have someone mow it and IMO the services seem to be spreading the seeds and homeowners don't seem to care anymore.

Well the grass is starting to grow here, the weeds never stopped growing, I've seen patches of clover up to 12 " tall. My own yard has gotten bad from my lack of care last year due to health issues. I don't use those dreaded lawn services. It's time to get control again with broadleaf weed killer, glyphosate, pre-emergent herbicide, etc.

Have any of you seen these things happening in your area?

I guess that was a rant. It's over.

There is no such thing as free shipping either~Wooleybooger
wooleybooger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2019, 06:53 AM   #2
retired painter

Rewards Points: 2,068

Re: Lawn/Landscape Services

What's the difference between a homeowner using gas equipment to maintain their lawn and a lawn service's equipment ?? If anything I'd expect the latter to be quicker.

Weeds will grow! I leave them in my yard but then I'm short on top soil and IMO anything that is green looks better than brown dirt.
Bondo, joecaption and lenaitch like this.
mark sr is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2019, 07:14 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark sr View Post
What's the difference between a homeowner using gas equipment to maintain their lawn and a lawn service's equipment ?? If anything I'd expect the latter to be quicker.

Weeds will grow! I leave them in my yard but then I'm short on top soil and IMO anything that is green looks better than brown dirt.
I guess it's a matter of degree mark. Most homeowners here don't use ZTR mowers just walk behinds and if they use a blower rather than a broom the don't blow clippings into neighbor's yards or across street or into storm drains. I did fail to say I was referring to a residential area as opposed to acreage.

Weeds? Of course they will grow but they can be controlled. My neighbors don't want my dandelions, nor to I for that matter and I control them by spot spraying if necessary and the use of a pre-emergent herbicide. Much if the clover that is growing while it may be good for the soil is burr clover. I certainly don't want that in my yard. I can remember as a child running barefoot in the grass and getting into large patches of burr clover. Fairly painful for a small child.

We don't have brown dirt here just heavy black clay soil but these yards are 50 years old now and there is a little top soil. St. Augustine grass usually grows well and the weeds have no problem with the clay.

The ZTR's may be quicker but most usually do more than one yard in an area when they show up. So they actually are running longer than an individual with a walk behind mower. You can hear them several blocks away. Walk behind mowers you can't hear like that.

I see you are in Tennessee possibly not in a city, I am in a community south of Houston, TX. There is very little acreage still undeveloped here. I think that is sickening.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2019, 07:39 AM   #4
retired painter

I'm in out in the county but assumed you were referring to the city.
As far as the mowers blowing debris [weeds/grass] onto your property - complain to both the homeowner and the landscape company. Some municipalities have laws against that.
Old 03-04-2019, 07:52 AM   #5

I've done that mark. Seems it isn't a high priority with either. Actually there is only one place I don't object to. An elderly lady across the street from me. She can't do it herself and the yard guy is in and out in 30 minutes. Even the mailman takes the mail to her door now, we never see her outside anymore.

Old 03-04-2019, 07:53 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 3,704

I have a creeping charlie problem in my neighborhood and two of the adjoining neighbors won't do anything about it so it keeps spreading back into my yard. My dad has a neighbor that doesn't even have grass any longer; some kind of weed has taken over. Fortunately, it spreads slowly enough he can hand pick the new growth out of his lawn.
stick\shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 08:33 AM   #7

Creeping Charlie? Googled a picture, that looks familiar. Ortho Weed-b-Gone will take care of that and a lot of other broadleaf weeds and dandelion.

Spraying with the above mentioned product and spreading Barricade will go a long way toward getting my lawn back in control. I hope I can get one of my neighbors to spray the stuff on his yard. He has a long of clover. The other neighbor uses a weed and feed every spring.

Old 03-04-2019, 03:24 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 3,704

Not trying to argue but creeping charlie is more than a weed-b-gone problem. My point was how little many people seem to care about lawns anymore compared to when we were kids.
stick\shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 03:33 PM   #9
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 4,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick\shift View Post
Not trying to argue but creeping charlie is more than a weed-b-gone problem. My point was how little many people seem to care about lawns anymore compared to when we were kids.
Dunno about when you were a kid but when I was all the Dad's were depression kids who grew up playing ball in dirt lots.

Having the time and money to grow a good crop that no one will eat...
was a sign of having made it. That's how lawns started in the first place.

History Lesson
Nik333 likes this.
TarheelTerp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 07:19 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick\shift View Post
Don't know about the Weed-B Gone but agree many people don't seem to care anymore. It's like the lawn is a nuisance. If they feel that way maybe they should just poison it and have bare dirt.

Old 03-05-2019, 05:20 AM   #11
retired painter

Quote:
many people don't seem to care anymore. It's like the lawn is a nuisance

I have stepsons that fall into that category. While I'd love to have a nice lawn it just isn't worth the effort. I'd have to take a ripper to my yard, remove all the slate rocks and replace with topsoil just to get started. It took me 20 yrs to get the entire yard green [weeds and all] so I'll just call it good enough.
Old 03-06-2019, 12:26 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 2,600

@wooleybooger , glad to hear you're feeling better and up to lawn care again.

Interesting thought about lawn services. I did that decades ago, and, if the owners asked me to, I'd do weed control, too, plus re-seeding. But, modern lawn dudes definitely seem to prefer to "mow and blow" and leave the more arcane maintenance to others.

Here, it seems that lawns are looking a bit nasty, I think mostly because we're coming out of a period of bad water restrictions, and people just let the weeds grow, because they were at least green, compared to dead grass that wasn't.
DoomsDave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 02:18 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 1,482

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarheelTerp View Post
Dunno about when you were a kid but when I was all the Dad's were depression kids who grew up playing ball in dirt lots.

Having the time and money to grow a good crop that no one will eat...
was a sign of having made it. That's how lawns started in the first place.

History Lesson
I read this a second time & thought that people for whom English is a 2nd language or who are not in the US might wonder why the kids were depressed.

So, I'm sure you're referring to the Great Depression after WWI.
Nik333 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 07:10 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomsDave View Post
@wooleybooger , glad to hear you're feeling better and up to lawn care again.

Interesting thought about lawn services. I did that decades ago, and, if the owners asked me to, I'd do weed control, too, plus re-seeding. But, modern lawn dudes definitely seem to prefer to "mow and blow" and leave the more arcane maintenance to others.

Here, it seems that lawns are looking a bit nasty, I think mostly because we're coming out of a period of bad water restrictions, and people just let the weeds grow, because they were at least green, compared to dead grass that wasn't.
Thank you DoomsDave. SoCal? Yeah that might be a good reason to let it go.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement