Is This Kentucky Bluegrass Or What Kind Of Grass It Is ? - Gardening Forum - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care > Gardening Forum

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-25-2019, 08:52 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 20

I used Scott's as well as Pennington's northeast mix (from homedepot) couple of months back to reseed my lawn. Now some of the grass that has come up , I'm not sure what kind it is. Is it Kentucky bluegrass or something else ? If it is Kentucky bluegrass, is it this light green ? Images attached.Is this Kentucky Bluegrass or what kind of grass it is ?-20190825_205031_1566780693468.jpgIs this Kentucky Bluegrass or what kind of grass it is ?-20190825_205012_1566780737473.jpgIs this Kentucky Bluegrass or what kind of grass it is ?-20190825_205352_1566780925662.jpgIs this Kentucky Bluegrass or what kind of grass it is ?-20190825_205425_1566780939611.jpg

Last edited by kulkarnipb; 08-25-2019 at 08:55 PM.
kulkarnipb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2019, 12:44 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 6,956

Re: Is this Kentucky Bluegrass or what kind of grass it is ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kulkarnipb View Post
I used Scott's as well as Pennington's northeast mix (from homedepot) couple of months back to reseed my lawn. Now some of the grass that has come up , I'm not sure what kind it is. Is it Kentucky bluegrass or something else ? If it is Kentucky bluegrass, is it this light green ? Images attached.Attachment 568409Attachment 568411Attachment 568413Attachment 568415
Those pale blades look like nutgrass, aka nut sedge. DON'T fool with weed and feed for that. If you can, hit is with some straight undiluted glyphosate and be sure it's dead and gone before you plant anything else there. There's also nut grass killers but they're expensive.

Perhaps someone else here will have experience with that.

DON'T let that nutgrass get out of hand!

Also, where (generally) are you located (county and state is fine)? This will give a better idea how much time in the year you have.
DoomsDave is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2019, 01:22 PM   #3

Thank you. That is what it is. Will get rid of those.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2019, 01:35 PM   #4

Quote:
Thank you. That is what it is. Will get rid of those.
Be fast and as thorough as you can. There will certainly be casualties in the lawn grass, but that can't be helped in my experience.

Where are you located? That can be important as to the availability of some herbicides.

Just ran across this: https://www.ortho.com/en-us/library/...ge-or-nutgrass

I've never used it, but if you're not in NY, it might well be worth a try. Do keep us apprized. I'll be seriously curious to know. I don't have a lawn anymore, but I have nutgrass.

Last edited by DoomsDave; 08-26-2019 at 01:37 PM.
Old 08-26-2019, 06:56 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 4,330

We call it 'bunch grass' in my neighborhood and it needs to be removed. One way is to pour RoundUp into a cup and use a small brush to paint the leaves so the good grass around it is not affected.
stick\shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 07:35 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 8,422

Its the right color for nut sedge, but not sure if the shape is correct. Looks like recently cut, so hard to tell. Nutsedge has a distinct shape where several blades will come off one stalk, and will grow much faster and taller than the grass.
Attached Images

SPS-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 06:44 PM   #7

Thank you. It is nutgrass only. It is growing very rapidly and is matching all characteristics. Pics I posted are after mowing lawn and that is why grass blades are cut.
Thank you all for your valuable feedback.
Old 09-03-2019, 01:23 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPS-1 View Post
Its the right color for nut sedge, but not sure if the shape is correct. Looks like recently cut, so hard to tell. Nutsedge has a distinct shape where several blades will come off one stalk, and will grow much faster and taller than the grass.
Looks like nutgrass. Where it gets the multiple blades from one stalk is when it seeds.

Don't let it get that far.
Old 09-04-2019, 08:03 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomsDave View Post
Looks like nutgrass. Where it gets the multiple blades from one stalk is when it seeds.

Don't let it get that far.
Yes. Thank you . Applied SedgeHammer 4 days back and it already started turning yellow/brown everywhere in my lawn.
Old 09-05-2019, 09:06 AM   #10

Quote:
Yes. Thank you . Applied SedgeHammer 4 days back and it already started turning yellow/brown everywhere in my lawn.
Can you post a picture? It's nice to see that expletive stuff dying or dead!

Be warned that this plant is the devil incarnate. It will not give up easily. Be prepared for it to pop up again in the future, though it looks like you don't (thankfully! ) have a heavy infestation of it.

I don't have enough to justify the expensive stuff, though I'm finding the roundup treatment to not be as effective all the time as hoped. So, maybe Sedge Hammer or something like it will appear in my Toxic Chemical Arsenal.
Old 09-05-2019, 09:19 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 8,422

Quote:
... though I'm finding the roundup treatment to not be as effective all the time as hoped.
Nutsedge spreads by rhizomes underground. Roundup will kill the visible chute, but not the tubers underground.

But I gotta figure that if you keep killing them as soon as you see them, they don't get the chance to do their photosynthesis, and you are going to win eventually.
SPS-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 10:43 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPS-1 View Post
Nutsedge spreads by rhizomes underground. Roundup will kill the visible chute, but not the tubers underground.

But I gotta figure that if you keep killing them as soon as you see them, they don't get the chance to do their photosynthesis, and you are going to win eventually.
From what a self described Scientist of Plant Murder told me, the best herbicides against nutgrass are those that can go through the soil to the nearby tubers that form and break off.

Rhizomes are what devil grass spreads by, and they're the Roundup Highway, oh yeah.

It is a real [female dog] to keep after those little plantlets that keep popping up with the Roundup.
Old 09-11-2019, 10:01 PM   #13

Quote:
Quote:

Can you post a picture? It's nice to see that expletive stuff dying or dead! [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.diychatroom.com/images/smilies/devil.png[/IMG]

Be warned that this plant is the devil incarnate. It will not give up easily. Be prepared for it to pop up again in the future, though it looks like you don't (thankfully! [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.diychatroom.com/images/smilies/angel.png[/IMG]) have a heavy infestation of it.

I don't have enough to justify the expensive stuff, though I'm finding the roundup treatment to not be as effective all the time as hoped. So, maybe Sedge Hammer or something like it will appear in my Toxic Chemical Arsenal.
Here are the after pics -

Is this Kentucky Bluegrass or what kind of grass it is ?-20190911_190607_1568253591268.jpg
Is this Kentucky Bluegrass or what kind of grass it is ?-20190911_190524_1568253638828.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement