Just Starting Off. - Gardening Forum - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care > Gardening Forum

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By Bud9051
  • 2 Post By Nealtw
  • 2 Post By mark sr
  • 1 Post By DoomsDave

Old 05-15-2019, 12:18 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 4

Just starting off.

Hello everyone anyone got some good tips for starting off a gardening business. I got a van, and the gear. I'm just struggling to get enough work at the start. I've tried leaflets bit they aren't giving me much success

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
jks030899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2019, 12:43 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 4,268

Re: Just starting off.

I'm not sure what a gardening business is. Are you talking about something like lawn care?

Starting a new business is ALWAYS hard and rarely generates enough income to pay you from the start. if you have another job for a steady income or a very large nest egg you have a chance.

Whatever it is you want to do, convincing people to pay you instead of whomever they currently have doing the job, or DIY is difficult.

Bud
DoomsDave and jks030899 like this.
jks030899 (05-15-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2019, 12:50 PM   #3
retired framer

Rewards Points: 11,906

The people doing that that we see successful have bought into a franchise. But then they only look successful, we don't really know.
jks030899 (05-15-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2019, 02:49 PM   #4
retired painter

Rewards Points: 2,050

It's almost always best to start a business part time. When you get more work than you can do after work and weekends - that's when you consider quitting your job and working for yourself full time.
mark sr is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mark sr For This Useful Post:
jks030899 (05-15-2019)
Old 05-15-2019, 02:51 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,592

Quote:
Originally Posted by jks030899 View Post
Hello everyone anyone got some good tips for starting off a gardening business. I got a van, and the gear. I'm just struggling to get enough work at the start. I've tried leaflets bit they aren't giving me much success

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Welcome!

I recommend putting your general location in your signature. Click on your user name, then your profile, then the yellow pencil thingie for location and put in, say, city/county and state/province. What's great in Florida may not be so in Manitoba or vice versa.

I did lawn care back in the 1980s, when the world was a different place. This was in Euclid, Ohio, and I printed up flyers and left them in mailboxes and stuffed in doors in areas I wanted to serve and kept on doing it. People do pay attention to those still. I got customers, and people called me even after I stopped doing it to go to California. (Well, they called my mom and dad.)

Success was a relative term. I did the lawn care on the side in addition to a paper route which kept me going in the winter time. (Some of my newspaper customers became lawn customers too.) My brother and his friends helped me as needed (they were teens) and we humped in the yards from about April to about mid-November. (We weren't masochists who did snow removal! ) I got good at knowing that to do and what not to do.

@Bud9051 's advice is good (and do is @mark sr 's): don't quit your day job if you have one, and don't lay out any more money than you have to. It takes a while, as I found. Not sure about franchises, might be worth considering but be careful there too!

Let us know how you do!

Focus, if you can, on discreet tasks you can do a lot of, preferably within a limited area. Travel long distances gets expensive, especially in places like Southern California where hell is a freeway. Unless you're an arborist, I'd leave things like big tree removal and the like to the people (masochists?) who specialize in that.
jks030899 likes this.

Last edited by DoomsDave; 05-15-2019 at 02:57 PM.
DoomsDave is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoomsDave For This Useful Post:
jks030899 (05-15-2019)
Old Yesterday, 04:32 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 512

Buy some "joke" $1000 bills........and staple them to your leaflets or business cards and drop them on the ground or post on boards. You can also write something on the blank side of the $1000 bill.
Cedrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:12 AM   #7
retired painter

Rewards Points: 2,050

Quote:
staple them to your leaflets or business cards and drop them on the ground
Surely you aren't suggesting he litter
mark sr is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement