Japanese Maple - Death Imminent? - Gardening Forum - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care > Gardening Forum

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By DoomsDave

Old 05-27-2019, 09:35 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 184

Japanese Maple - death imminent?

Following up from last year:

https://www.diychatroom.com/f102/my-...-dying-625810/

Spring has sprung and unfortunately it looks like the tree is doing worse than last year. 1/3 of the tree, on the right side looks normal - thick healthy leaves. But 2/3 of the tree has these withered looking, sad wrinkly leaves. Is this a lost cause or is there any hope for it?

Japanese Maple - death imminent?-img_20190527_102137.jpg

If I have to replace it, any advice on removal & replacement?
MoreCowbell70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2019, 09:53 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 6,072

Re: Japanese Maple - death imminent?

Greetings,
Since much of the tree is still healthy here is a thought that might be fun, although it will take more time. Rooting new trees.

No idea why the tree is in trouble and that may be problem for propagating this particular tree, but the price is right and if it works well you could have several trees.

Just a thought
Bud
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2019, 09:56 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 184

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud9051 View Post
Greetings,
Since much of the tree is still healthy here is a thought that might be fun, although it will take more time. Rooting new trees.

No idea why the tree is in trouble and that may be problem for propagating this particular tree, but the price is right and if it works well you could have several trees.

Just a thought
Bud
Neat idea for a side project for sure but it looks like I'll need to nuke the rest of it and replace with another for the sake of my frontage aesthetics.
MoreCowbell70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2019, 10:12 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 6,072

Another thought. What if you removed the dead/dying part and put in a sturdy post so you could pull what remains to vertical and see how it evolves.

More reading:
https://www.chicagotribune.com/lifes...911-story.html

Where yours seems to be on one side the above link may apply.

Bud
Old 05-28-2019, 09:02 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 576

Think I see a split in the bark on the bad side, down low. Cambium layer could be damaged. Cut bad side down to soil level.... and cut good side way down to one foot and make a shrub out of it. Feed with a light dose of 20-10-10 and see what transpires.
Cedrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 09:43 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 5,506

@MoreCowbell70 , it looks like something broke under the area that's dying off, though it's possible that other problems during the winter are to blame as well.

Here's a link I ran across. Sometimes insects can cause problems like that, too, though I wasn't able to find anything specific to Japanese Maples.

Hate to say this, but it looks like the dead parts are going to have to be removed. @Bud9051 's suggestion might be worth considering.

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/orn...ter-damage.htm
Nik333 likes this.
DoomsDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 12:30 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 12

Your picture is somewhat limited, but I noticed two things. 1. both main tree trucks have split bark at the base 2. you have a roof downspout at the corner of the house just behind the Jap. Maple.
The split bark could be too much water or a physical damage (struck the tree) to the trunk bark. Since it is both trunks, I can assume only two things: A. you are striking the tree trunks with a mower or weed wacker OR B. The tree is getting too much water and that causes the bark to split which is the beginning of the trees DEATH.
Japanese maples DO NOT like a lot of water and especially if their roots sit in a pool from a down spout. That's why offen you will see a JM tree planted on a mound to prevent that.
Solution: (BTW, this same thing happened to the first Jap. Maple I transplanted- water damage. I saved it though.) 1. put an extension on you down spout to get water away from your tree. 2. Put plastic landscape border trim around the wall side of the tree to redirect surface water away from the tree. Wrap the damaged trunks with a tree wrap to prevent insect invasion. Send me more pics and I can advise more. I have three Jap. Maples - all healthy.
Ken

MOD edit - email removed.

Last edited by joed; 06-20-2019 at 08:23 AM.
ohonestly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement