Irrigation Controllers - Gardening Forum - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care > Gardening Forum

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-27-2015, 12:08 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2,038

Irrigation controllers

Hello to all,

We had a yr long project down in our back yard [pool & summer kitchen]. The old irrigation system lines were severed in many places, then new PVC, wiring and control valves were installed in the back to accommodate the new landscaping and grass.

We went from 8 active zones to 6 zones. We have a RainBird Controller that was installed new w house around 2004-2005. Well, it's been acting funny and something is wrong w it. Therefore, I need to replace it. Do not need anything real fancy, but was wanting suggestions on a controller replacement? I am assuming that the controller valves in the yard can use/read the software of any device, or should I stay w RainBird regardless.

Finally, this is just a matter of taking off the wires of the old controller to the same lines on the new controller so the zones will be consistent and labeled properly, correct?

Anything else, pls let me know?

Thank you very much,
tstex
tstex is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2015, 02:12 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 190

Irrigation controllers

Rainbird makes great controllers. They can be more expensive but you get what you pay for.

Look online for the manuals to verify the controller you are interested in had the number of zones and programs you need.

Controllers are pretty universal. The just complete a 24 volt circuit to open the valve.

It is a simple changeover of wires from old to new. Take a photo before you start. There will be a common wire (c) that you don't want to mix up. Label it before you start.

You can rearrange the wires for each zone into an order that makes sense to you.
tstex (07-27-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2015, 02:34 PM   #3

Thank you Dan. I appreciate your follow-up, especially the part on the common wire.

We only use 6 zones, but I think most come now w 8-10+, and most of the features regarding start times, watering times, etc should be pretty universal.

I get this done and post back on the results.

Thanks again,
tstex
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2015, 02:50 PM   #4

How does this RainBird model look?

http://www.zoro.com/rain-bird-irriga...g&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old 07-27-2015, 02:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstex View Post
Looks good. Simple to use and room for growth.
Old 07-27-2015, 03:25 PM   #6

I found out that you cannot initiate a "manual cycle" w a one-key-touch so I am back to the drawing board.
Old 07-27-2015, 03:30 PM   #7

Take a look at the Rainbird site but follow the Professional links. The controllers have more functionality.
Old 07-27-2015, 04:17 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by djlandkpl View Post
Take a look at the Rainbird site but follow the Professional links. The controllers have more functionality.
Thanks. I looked at them but a lot of the are 4-22 zone systems and way overkill.

This one looks good: Rain Bird RZX8I Eight Station ESP-RZX Indoor Sprinkler Timer

Thanks,
tstex
The Following User Says Thank You to tstex For This Useful Post:
djlandkpl (07-27-2015)
Old 08-05-2015, 09:50 AM   #9

I bought an Orbit 12 zone w remote control. I was able to program it in about 10 min's. It worked correctly the first night and has since then.

When installing one brand to another, [rainbird to orbit], make sure you look at the distance you need to the wires to connect to each station. The rainbird needed less, so I had to cut off some of the top of the PVC pipe feeding the wires.

Next, make sure you clearly label all of your station wires. this will ensure you don't have to do a lot of testing and switching later.

Haven't used the remote yet, but it should be real handy instead of running from controller to s-heads....regrds, tstex
The Following User Says Thank You to tstex For This Useful Post:
djlandkpl (08-05-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement