How To Bury Downspouts - Gardening Forum - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care > Gardening Forum

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-13-2015, 05:48 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 752

How To Bury Downspouts

I want to bury the downspouts on my house. I wanted to get some advice on the proper way to do this job. I am pretty sure that it is a job that I can handle myself(I have been quoted $100 per downspout). Is this maybe price worth it in the long run?

Can someone please give me advice on the proper procedure on doing this job? I have been told that I should use sewer and drain pipe vs. the perforated drain pipe to aid in keeping the pipe clean and aid in cleaning out the pipe.

Advice is appreciated.
kennykenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2015, 06:09 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,506

Speaking of cleaning the pipe, how do you intend to do that?
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2015, 06:11 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeniorSitizen View Post
Speaking of cleaning the pipe, how do you intend to do that?
Clean out some of the leaves and debris out of the end.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2015, 06:45 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 338

Do you have the fall necessary to daylight the pipes. If so, its pretty simple. Go to the big box store. Get some of this:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Advanced-...0010/100135310

Get the matching fittings for your downspouts

Figure out how much you need and start digging . Make sure the pipe is properly pitched , cover and you are done
ZTMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 08:23 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 165

I went a bit over kill with mine. I dug a trench for the ones on my house. I ran them out far enough so the pipe would drain to daylight like others here have suggested. I made my trenches 10 inches deep at the most shallow point, due to having to lay a paver patio over that area. I pitched the trenches away from the house, about 1/2" per foot. I then bought 4" schedule 40 pvc pipe, the solid core kind not the foam core. I made sure the bed of the trench didn't have any dips that would cause the pipes to sag, then I glued the pipes together with couplings and laid them in the trench. I used a t on one downspout run due to making a turn and because it was a long run. One part of the tees would run up flush with the surface and I installed pop up drains to 1) be able to inspect for clogs, and 2) if the drain clogged up somewhere, the pop up would open and allow the water to flow out. Where the pipe was going to meet the downspout, I used a long sweep 90, and an adapter that allows my 3"by 4" downspouts to feed into the pvc. I made sure that where the pipe drained to daylight, there was a grate/screen to keep critters from crawling up the pipe. I'll try to find some pictures later.
chronojosh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chronojosh For This Useful Post:
jayp526 (07-16-2015), kennykenny (07-13-2015)
Old 07-13-2015, 08:34 PM   #6

I found a few
Attached Thumbnails
How To Bury Downspouts-forumrunner_20130202_145406.png   How To Bury Downspouts-forumrunner_20130202_145521.png   How To Bury Downspouts-forumrunner_20130202_145611.png  
Old 07-13-2015, 08:37 PM   #7

I tied a couple downspouts together to discharge them away from the house. The farthest distance I had to go was about 70 feet which was from the downspout to the right of my bulkhead in the last picture, just out of frame.
Old 07-13-2015, 08:42 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronojosh View Post
I went a bit over kill with mine. I dug a trench for the ones on my house. I ran them out far enough so the pipe would drain to daylight like others here have suggested. I made my trenches 10 inches deep at the most shallow point, due to having to lay a paver patio over that area. I pitched the trenches away from the house, about 1/2" per foot. I then bought 4" schedule 40 pvc pipe, the solid core kind not the foam core. I made sure the bed of the trench didn't have any dips that would cause the pipes to sag, then I glued the pipes together with couplings and laid them in the trench. I used a t on one downspout run due to making a turn and because it was a long run. One part of the tees would run up flush with the surface and I installed pop up drains to 1) be able to inspect for clogs, and 2) if the drain clogged up somewhere, the pop up would open and allow the water to flow out. Where the pipe was going to meet the downspout, I used a long sweep 90, and an adapter that allows my 3"by 4" downspouts to feed into the pvc. I made sure that where the pipe drained to daylight, there was a grate/screen to keep critters from crawling up the pipe. I'll try to find some pictures later.
Do you have any problems with the pop up drains freezing in the winter?
Old 07-14-2015, 03:00 AM   #9

Not yet. The pipe hasn't gotten that full of water. They are just a contingency plan.
Old 07-15-2015, 09:36 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 5,348

Pipes should be installed so water isn't laying in them. Try posting photos of your property so we can see the layout.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 05:56 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
Pipes should be installed so water isn't laying in them. Try posting photos of your property so we can see the layout.
Attached are some pictures. With some of the spouts, I have underground pvc pipes for my sprinkler in the front of where I would have to dig and lay my pipes for the down spouts. . Should I just dig the trench as far as I can(before getting to the sprinkler pipes) and make a turn to end the pipe sideways other than straight out from the down spout? I have this issue with a few of the spouts.

Also, how long should the pipe be, from the downspout end, straight out? One of the downspouts is in the side-yard and if I go out too far, will be in the neighbors yard. Do I turn it instead? This is shown in the last two pics.

The top two pics go together and one of the pics show a buried pipe for something? I have yet to find the other end. Any ideas the purpose for it? (I just moved into the house). Anyway to tie into the pipe(if I can find the purpose) with the downspout?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
How To Bury Downspouts-corner1.jpg   How To Bury Downspouts-corner2.jpg   How To Bury Downspouts-front1.jpg   How To Bury Downspouts-side.jpg   How To Bury Downspouts-spout1.jpg  

How To Bury Downspouts-spout.jpg  
Old 07-20-2015, 04:15 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 284

What you should do is dig a trench that goes down about 3ft and over about 2000 miles west. That'd be the best solution IMHO...
JustScrewIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement