How To Best Install A New Pop Up Sprinkler To An Existing Irrigation System - Gardening Forum - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care > Gardening Forum

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By tstex
  • 1 Post By Cedrus

Old 06-02-2019, 01:20 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2,038

How to best install a new pop up sprinkler to an existing irrigation system

Hello to all,

there's a middle section of our bushes in the front yard that gets too dry bc the current (Zone 2) irrigation system does not water this area. I have a current sprinkler head about 7-8 ft away, and was hoping I could tap into it and run a flex pipe to this dry area and install a new pop up head w a 6ft radius (3 ft on ea side) w a 180 spread.

I have about 90ft of the plastic line left, some of those plastic "T's" and plenty of nozzles. Just need to buy a popup canister/spray head - the current pop ups are rainbirds when house was built in 2005.

Pls let me know what you suggest or if you have any questions ? Thank you, tstex
tstex is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2019, 01:31 PM   #2
retired framer

Rewards Points: 20,276

Re: How to best install a new pop up sprinkler to an existing irrigation system

Not sure what the problem would be dig a trench to the buried line, cut it, install a tee and run the pipe in the trench to the new sprinkler.
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2019, 01:48 PM   #3

Thank Neil

There's tons of roots in this area too from mature bushes that I'm trying to aboid the trenching.

when we did an addition in the back, had s comp redo all the irrigation lines. Later we found s dry spot and I cannot remember how they exactly did it, but they tapped into an existing sprinkler head, took a sharp shooter shovel at an angle all the way to the new popup location, and ran that black flex line to the new head in the angled grass cut and presto. They coned out a hole for the popup and were done in about 5-10 mins. Then stepped down on grass and said to water well...I wish I video'ed it. Does this make sense?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2019, 01:55 PM   #4

*****How does one edit a post from an iPhone?****. Here's what my screen looks like - on my laptop there's an icon for it but not on phone / thanks
Attached Thumbnails
How to best install a new pop up sprinkler to an existing irrigation system-image_1559501631507.png  
Old 06-02-2019, 04:44 PM   #5
retired framer

Rewards Points: 20,276

I guess it depends on the type of pipe you have and the adapters you need.
Old 06-02-2019, 06:39 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 188

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstex View Post
Thank Neil

There's tons of roots in this area too from mature bushes that I'm trying to aboid the trenching.

when we did an addition in the back, had s comp redo all the irrigation lines. Later we found s dry spot and I cannot remember how they exactly did it, but they tapped into an existing sprinkler head, took a sharp shooter shovel at an angle all the way to the new popup location, and ran that black flex line to the new head in the angled grass cut and presto. They coned out a hole for the popup and were done in about 5-10 mins. Then stepped down on grass and said to water well...I wish I video'ed it. Does this make sense?
This will work. Much easier than digging a trench. As long as the new head has the same watering requirements as the other heads on the zone, you're good to go.
Old 06-02-2019, 07:15 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,762

Most of the time a sprinkler system is designed with the amount and pressure at the head end,

Adding another head to the system, maybe cause the system to not work any longer.

That's the worst case, and if it does happen, you just need to undo the addition.

Doing a "sod flip" burial is fine as long as you're deep enough to prevent a puncture during aerating, and winterizing to prevent a freeze rupturing a line.
ktkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 07:39 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 7,514

I don't think the pop ups use as much water as the rotaries. You will likely be OK adding one more. Home many other heads and what type (pop up/rotary) on that zone ?

You probably have a main 1" line on that zone, and then they Tee off it with a foot or so of smaller line (maybe 1/2" or 5/8") to each head. Proper way would be to Tee off the main lie rather than the small dia hose. Probably lots of YouTube videos. Keep in mind that if you need to buy fittings or hose, you need to go to a landscape supply place --- the hose and fittings are different size than what you will find in the plumbing department of your hardware store.
SPS-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 08:52 PM   #9

Great info guys, thank you very much
I'll take pictures of what I do so I can post back w them.

All of my popups are nozzle only and many in this zone are 90 degree radius only. I am also putting the smallest spray distance on this new addition too.

Thanks again
Tstex
Old 06-03-2019, 01:30 PM   #10

Hey guys, got the same type of popup sprayer w an elbow adapter. I'm simply going to unscrew the current popup, screw in the new one pictured, then insert elbow in canister and run 1/2 flex line to middle of bushes, then reinstall the one I just pulled, I'm changing out the nozzle to a 180 w 6ft radius from a 90 & 8-10 ft radius. The new one I'm installing also sits about 6 -8" taller which will be good bc thx plants there have grown over the sprinkler head

Pic of new one and current one

How to best install a new pop up sprinkler to an existing irrigation system-image_1559586569548.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
How to best install a new pop up sprinkler to an existing irrigation system-image_1559586528905.jpg  

Last edited by tstex; 06-03-2019 at 01:40 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to tstex For This Useful Post:
jbrah (07-02-2019)
Old 06-03-2019, 05:38 PM   #11

Got it fixed / the one in the center is the one I just installed and attached to the newly bought and re/installed in the foreground. I just need to center the spray in middle by turning a little CCW. Thanks for everyone's help
Attached Thumbnails
How to best install a new pop up sprinkler to an existing irrigation system-image_1559601507925.jpg  
djlandkpl and jbrah like this.
Old 06-03-2019, 06:00 PM   #12

Just one final question guys,

While I was testing the new sprinkler heads, I did an inspection of the other spray heads. I have a 10" canister w 8" tube/nozzle that pops up. Water is leaking btw where it pops up in the canister and the tube that pops up. Is there a suggestion on how to fix this? thanks again
Old 06-06-2019, 08:22 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 576

Just a suggestion......If you see water mist out of your heads and it is drifting up and away....turn down the little screw in the center of the head. Just enough to allow larger droplets to go where you want, without decreasing the distance.
jbrah likes this.
Cedrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement