Hibiscus Falling Over, Ques ? - Gardening Forum - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care > Gardening Forum

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By tstex
  • 1 Post By tstex

Old 04-19-2016, 10:52 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 2,038

Hibiscus falling over, ques ?

Hello to all,

We had 12-14" of rain Sun-nite Monday...one of my Hibiscus fell over and leaning on a pool column...it's about 6 - 6 1/2 ft tall. Planted it last May 2015, never trimmed it bc no frosts and it has TONS red flowers. Have 3 more tall ones and 4 bush-like ones...all of them are ok.

Just seeking advice on what to do long term, but for now, I put a nail in the fence behind plant, then ran twine around the front of the plant and pulled twine forward. I also applied some soil to the back side and once the plant was strung-up, I stepped firmly on the ground multiple times. The string is pretty tight and the 3-5 stalks pulled back are bunched-up. Just wanted to know is this the plan or should I cut them all back 3 feet and take off some pressure?

THanks, tstex
Nik333 likes this.

Last edited by tstex; 04-19-2016 at 10:58 AM.
tstex is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2016, 12:05 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 4,248

Re: Hibiscus falling over, ques ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstex View Post
Hello to all,

We had 12-14" of rain Sun-nite Monday...one of my Hibiscus fell over. . .

THanks, tstex
Didn't see you never got an answer. Did it straighten back up? They're really common in Hawaii, of course, and the rain knocks plants down, & they get heavier taking in the water, but usually straighten back up.

That's a lot of water!
Nik333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2016, 02:34 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,038

No answer - I just tied some string to the fence and ran it around the trunks and pulled them all back to a straight up position...still that way right now.

Thanks
Nik333 likes this.
tstex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tstex For This Useful Post:
Nik333 (05-28-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2016, 10:10 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 4,248

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstex View Post
No answer - I just tied some string to the fence and ran it around the trunks and pulled them all back to a straight up position...still that way right now.

Thanks
If you want them less top heavy, of course, you can prune the tops. But, they sound beautiful!
Nik333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement