Help - Pine Trees Trimmed And Privacy Lost - Gardening Forum - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care > Gardening Forum

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-24-2014, 10:56 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 336

Help - Pine Trees Trimmed and Privacy Lost

Hello,

I live in the general San Diego region and had my pine trees trimmed because my neighbor kept complaining they were dangerous and can fall on her house in high winds. I found someone on craigslist and requested to have the trees thinned out from top to bottom but they misunderstood my request. They mostly trimmed off a lot of the bottom and didn't touch the top and now I lost my privacy! What a mistake :-(

Is there anything I can put in between or around them to block the view from the houses in the rear? I've attached photos. I'm thinking of staying in this house another year or so and for that reason prefer to not to anything major. I was thinking a few Home Depot plants that remain in their pot would be ideal. I don't want to put a lot of money into cutting down the pine trees and planting something else. I just want some of that privacy back.

Does anyone have suggestions?

Thanks!

sdrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2014, 12:11 PM   #2
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 9,330

Well, we know we don't need to preach to you now about the issue with hiring someone off CL.

Does the area below get plenty of sunlight? If so, maybe a lemon tree?

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ddawg16 For This Useful Post:
BirdSlapper (09-25-2014), gregzoll (09-24-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2014, 12:13 PM   #3

I learned my lesson on CL and not being clear enough.

I think it get's enough light. The view in the photos is pointing West. I'm thinking I could get some dirt and make it leveled towards the top and then rest the plants on there, or perhaps get some stakes and put a piece of wood to make level ground that I can rest two or three home depot plants on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2014, 12:19 PM   #4
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 9,330

That is an option.

You can't depend on the pine trees going down below...that part is done.

The way that area is shaped, it really does lend itself to being work in progress...you can change it with the seasons....

It if it was me, I'd be planting some bougainvillea. Besides looking good, no man in his right mind would try to climb over it....if he/she did, it would be the first and last. Best natural fence in the world.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 12:37 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
That is an option.

You can't depend on the pine trees going down below...that part is done.

The way that area is shaped, it really does lend itself to being work in progress...you can change it with the seasons....

It if it was me, I'd be planting some bougainvillea. Besides looking good, no man in his right mind would try to climb over it....if he/she did, it would be the first and last. Best natural fence in the world.
True, the neighbor to one corner had bougainvillea but it climbed up parts of the branches and cause some of them to dry out badly. You can kind of see it in the "before" trimming photo.

I'm also not sure if bougainvillea would take a while to grow. I want to move to a different house later this year or maybe next year so I need an easy not too expensive solution that is not too permanent either.
Old 09-25-2014, 08:05 AM   #6
A Little Of Everything

Rewards Points: 1,418

If you're thinking you'll only be there for another year or so, getting something to grow is going to be tough.

What about some privacy panels of some sort?

DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DrHicks For This Useful Post:
Startingover (09-26-2014)
Old 09-25-2014, 08:22 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 6,652

You are below their line of sight. Unless you are doing something illegal back there. I would not even worry about it. Come next Summer, that area will start filling back in.

Get to know your neighbors. People these days do not want anything to do with those who live around them, and want to live private lives.

gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 09:56 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 320

My opinion, wrong trees for the area and should be taken down.
47_47 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 47_47 For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (09-25-2014)
Old 09-25-2014, 11:05 AM   #9

Thanks for all the advice. I bought this house in January of this year and am already tired of the "zero property" and HOA neighborhood. One side of my house is the fence, on the other side I have 5 feet.

I'm not doing anything illegal but the two pine trees hid those two houses behind a little more and made it seem like I wasn't as close to other houses when looking outside my dining room or kitchen.

It seems the best thing is straw bamboo, or bouganvallia left in pots and secured to lattice. I am thinking of selling late this year or next year.
Old 09-25-2014, 11:07 AM   #10

Those pine trees were put in by someone way back, probably 2 or 3 owners before me. I also agree they are not good trees to have but given I want to move to a different house, I don't want to pay and have them removed.
Old 09-25-2014, 11:11 AM   #11
A Little Of Everything

Rewards Points: 1,418

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdrocker View Post
Those pine trees were put in by someone way back, probably 2 or 3 owners before me. I also agree they are not good trees to have but given I want to move to a different house, I don't want to pay and have them removed.
So here's a stupid question that's not related to the trees.

If you just bought that house earlier this year, and are wanting to sell it and move within a couple months, aren't you going to take one heckuva financial hit on that? Or did the real estate market grow rapidly this year?
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DrHicks For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (09-25-2014)
Old 09-25-2014, 11:26 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHicks View Post
So here's a stupid question that's not related to the trees.

If you just bought that house earlier this year, and are wanting to sell it and move within a couple months, aren't you going to take one heckuva financial hit on that? Or did the real estate market grow rapidly this year?
I paid zero closing costs because of an ARM loan, and paid a really big downpayment so when factoring how much rent I would have paid elsewhere, I can take a little hit on the selling price. However, my girlfriends stepfather will likely help me sell it, so seller costs should hopefully be a bit lower.

I believe the market has improved a bit for my neighborhood according to what I've heard. In either case I want out within the next year or two if I have to wait that long. That makes it less appealing to cut those pine trees down.
Old 09-25-2014, 11:40 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 6,652

Personally I would take them down. It would make it easier to do something with that corner, than with those overgrown beasts. Backyard appeal is just as important as front curb appeal.

What is the HOA rules about if you add a Lattice extension to the top of the fence, or extend the fence up a little higher?

I would not do Bamboo, since it can become invasive and will never go away, no matter how hard you try. Just having it in pots is fine. But it will end up finding a way to grow out of the pots.

gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 11:46 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
Personally I would take them down. It would make it easier to do something with that corner, than with those overgrown beasts. Backyard appeal is just as important as front curb appeal.

What is the HOA rules about if you add a Lattice extension to the top of the fence, or extend the fence up a little higher?

I would not do Bamboo, since it can become invasive and will never go away, no matter how hard you try. Just having it in pots is fine. But it will end up finding a way to grow out of the pots.
Thanks, I'm just irked I already spent money to have them trimmed and now I don't feel like paying a lot more to have the pines completely removed.

I'm also thinking of bamboo straw and stapling to the fence. I see your point about anything growing outside of the pots. In this case I'm not sure bouganvallea is a good idea. I was thinking of just putting the lattice up without HOA approval for now. It's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission but I've seen other people do similar things with their yards.
Old 09-26-2014, 06:30 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 868

For instant privacy with little expense I'd put lattace panels or trellis up and vines to cover it. Or check with local nursery for fast growing trees or shrubs.

As for bamboo there are 2 types. One with runners is invasive but the 2nd kind is 'clumping' and not invasive. But they can take 3 yrs to grow. "First yr it sleeps, 2nd yr it creeps, 3rd yr it leeps".
Startingover is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement