Help With Citrus Trees - Gardening Forum - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care > Gardening Forum

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-25-2018, 08:58 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 332

Help with Citrus Trees

Greetings,

I am seeking any help regarding a couple of citrus trees. The large tree is a semi-dwarf Meyer (improved) Lemon tree......it is a least 12 years old. The second much-smaller tree is some sort of kumquat. We live in San Diego County (City of Lemon Grove).

Both trees appear to be having a hard time. The lemon tree has lost most of its leaves on the west (sun-facing) side. Some of the remaining leaves are yellow. Fruit production and new growth is very low this past year (it had been a great tree for a number of years, yielding lots of lemons in the past). We water regularly and apply fertilizer about 3-4 times a year.

The kumquat tree is only about 2 feet tall -- it was just planted this past spring. It had a bunch of fruit on it when it went into the ground, but it lost all that fruit after the first couple of months. I am now noticing a few small branches which seem to have died-off, and are reminding me of the lemon tree.

I don't know know what is going on. To be honest, I probably only succeed in getting about one out of three trees I plant to make it, but usually once they survive a year, they are good for a while. I would especially like to keep that Meyer Lemon tree, as we have had it now for a while. Any help with these trees would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Help with Citrus Trees-meyer-lemon-1.jpg   Help with Citrus Trees-meyer-lemon-2.jpg   Help with Citrus Trees-kumquat-close-up.jpg  
Paultergeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2018, 09:51 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 4,280

Re: Help with Citrus Trees

Search San Diego Master Gardeners, UC Cooperative Extension. They will give advice for your area. One even came to my house to look at a cherry tree ( he lived in the town)
Very helpful.

Others here may have advice. It's been a weird year, weather wise.

One thing I notice in the top producing orchards/groves is that they allow no ground cover at all. A farmer/rancher friend of mine was quite critical of any grass that a neighboring orchard had.

Last edited by Nik333; 11-25-2018 at 10:10 PM.
Nik333 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2018, 05:50 AM   #3
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 34

Re: Help with Citrus Trees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paultergeist View Post
Greetings,

I am seeking any help regarding a couple of citrus trees. The large tree is a semi-dwarf Meyer (improved) Lemon tree......it is a least 12 years old. The second much-smaller tree is some sort of kumquat. We live in San Diego County (City of Lemon Grove).

Both trees appear to be having a hard time. The lemon tree has lost most of its leaves on the west (sun-facing) side. Some of the remaining leaves are yellow. Fruit production and new growth is very low this past year (it had been a great tree for a number of years, yielding lots of lemons in the past). We water regularly and apply fertilizer about 3-4 times a year.

The kumquat tree is only about 2 feet tall -- it was just planted this past spring. It had a bunch of fruit on it when it went into the ground, but it lost all that fruit after the first couple of months. I am now noticing a few small branches which seem to have died-off, and are reminding me of the lemon tree.

I don't know know what is going on. To be honest, I probably only succeed in getting about one out of three trees I plant to make it, but usually once they survive a year, they are good for a while. I would especially like to keep that Meyer Lemon tree, as we have had it now for a while. Any help with these trees would be appreciated.
That's too much.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement