Help With Apple Tree - Gardening Forum - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care > Gardening Forum

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-19-2014, 02:26 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

help with apple tree

I have never pruned a tree in my entire life my wife and I bought this house 2 years ago remodeled it and have had these two apple trees but have never done anything with them because they look disastrous, and I'm not even sure what type of apples that they produce so I went on to use my chainsaw and cut a lot of the big limbs out of the middle that were going up and now I really am not even sure if I just killed the tree or not, so can you all help me please I want to make these trees healthy and produce fruit if possible.
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2014, 02:28 PM   #2

Here are some pictures I hope this helps I'm in Northeast Ohio to be exact Kingsville Ohio and it is March 19th 2014
Attached Thumbnails
help with apple tree-forumrunner_20140319_142715.jpg   help with apple tree-forumrunner_20140319_142723.jpg   help with apple tree-forumrunner_20140319_142731.jpg   help with apple tree-forumrunner_20140319_142740.jpg   help with apple tree-forumrunner_20140319_142749.jpg  

help with apple tree-forumrunner_20140319_142757.jpg  
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2014, 05:46 PM   #3
paper hanger and painter

google
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2014, 06:30 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 120

The shape of it looks very similar to the trees in the orchards near me, after they've been trimmed. But it looks like you need to remove more of the thinner branches.

The apple trees in my mom's orchard were planted in the early 1960's. The neighbor leases the land and takes care of the trees. I was surprised to see how much he cut out of each tree, but they're producing pretty well.

gma2rjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 06:42 PM   #5

Thank you for your reply what I guess I'm looking for is to see if somebody can tell me the speech of mystery and I do know that I need to trim out more but I don't have the equipment to get up that high
Old 03-19-2014, 06:42 PM   #6

Should I be cutting out every branch that grows straight up and if so should I be cutting it flush with the main branch
Old 03-19-2014, 06:56 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
google
I do understand, but i have googled alot about this and ive got alot of knowledge for the most part but i cant for sure get a solid idea of what species apple tree this is. and its nicer to have a conversation with someone to help me through this process smoothly.
garrettstump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 11:45 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 120

Do you have a County Extension Office where you could get some information?

gma2rjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 12:55 AM   #9
Plumber

Rewards Points: 812

Quote:
Originally Posted by garrettstump View Post
Should I be cutting out every branch that grows straight up and if so should I be cutting it flush with the main branch
I know where you're coming from when it comes to pruning apple trees. i have a pair that were neglected (by me) for a few years.
I read articles on line and watched videos and was still unsure. I finally dove in with pruning shears, cordless sawzall and electric chain saw.

I cut out anything that resembled sucker branches or weak limbs and branches that rubbed another. On what was left, I opened the center to receive more light.

I may have not done it correctly but the trees lived....
Old 03-20-2014, 06:41 AM   #10

That is funny thanks for the response
Old 03-20-2014, 06:42 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by gma2rjc View Post
Do you have a County Extension Office where you could get some information?
I don't know what an extension office is or were to find one
Old 03-20-2014, 07:35 AM   #12
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 7,174

Quote:
Originally Posted by garrettstump View Post
I don't know what an extension office is or were to find one

Look in the phone book---or call the county office---

Agricultural extension ---that's the name---every state has an agricultural department---and most counties have an 'extension' office----

Ours has a great library of free (or really cheap)books and pamphlets on everything from planting to canning and cooking----

Home
Old 03-20-2014, 08:03 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 808

I worked in an apple orchid in high school for 2 summers. You want to prune out about 2/3rds of those branches allowing each remaining branch to get plenty of light and air circulation, and to allow sunlight deeper down into the depths of the plant.
IslandGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 09:49 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 206

First off, I seriously doubt that you have harmed the trees in any way. Conditions vary, so I concur with contacting your local extension service, and/or maybe a local arborist. But, like Eplumber, I let mine get ahead of me for a few years, so I talked with a couple of local experts, read, and finally proceeded with my own best judgement. The suckers are pretty obvious, so are a good place to start, and, once they're out of the way, it is easier to see what should stay and what should go. I usually start with a pair of loppers, add a ladder once I'm beyond reach from the ground, then go to a pole saw with a blade and loppers on the end; any higher than that I don't worry about. Then it's time for a bow or chain saw. Our apple trees anyway don't seem to develop much of a collar, but you can see the collars clearly on other trees, such as maples, and I always cut beyond the collar, or, if not obvious, beyond where I think the collar should be. Particularly with larger branches, make a cut in one direction, then finish from the other side, to avoid or at least minimize splitting, and then cut the stub off strqaight. Two years ago, when I caught up with several years of neglect, I ended up with a pile of cuttings that came close to matching the remaining canopy, but the quantity and quality of the apples improved very significantly.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 11:31 AM   #15

If I do contact my local extension office then what do I ask them I have no idea to questions to ask
Advertisement