Grass And Weeds Under Pine Straw - Gardening Forum - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care > Gardening Forum

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Bondo

Old 02-18-2019, 10:06 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 30

Grass and weeds under pine straw

On a 1500 Sq ft section in back yard there was a lot of weeds and grass. I had all that removed and chemicals sprayed, then pine needles laid on top.

With the weather getting warmer I am seeing grass and weeds sprouting through the pine needles. what's the best way to treat them? I've tried spraying round up on top of the pine straw. Not sure if it's working. Do I need to try a different method?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
nytimes770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2019, 10:54 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,502

Re: Grass and weeds under pine straw

Of all the years I've gardened I've found 6 inches of depth is minimum of most any kind of mulch as a weed deterrent. That's too late this season so your best choice now is to wick any green vegetation with round-up.

EDIT:EDIT:EDIT: During the cool season I've found it takes longer for round-up to show results.

Last edited by SeniorSitizen; 02-18-2019 at 11:04 AM.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2019, 11:32 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeniorSitizen View Post
Of all the years I've gardened I've found 6 inches of depth is minimum of most any kind of mulch as a weed deterrent. That's too late this season so your best choice now is to wick any green vegetation with round-up.

EDIT:EDIT:EDIT: During the cool season I've found it takes longer for round-up to show results.
Thanks. Do I spray on top of the straw or do I need to move the straw first spray, and put the straw back.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
nytimes770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2019, 11:58 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,502

I limit spraying to larger areas to be covered. For spot treatment, herbicide applicators similar to the hockey stick design are available. I make my own wicking applicator from a paint roller and sometimes use a sponge on a stick.

Being there are more seeds just waiting for the right conditions for them to germinate spraying will not be a one time fix all.

SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 01:42 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 4,244

Glyphosate ( Roundup) is absorbed through plant leaves, so it won't work as well if you are just spraying on dead pine needles.
Nik333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 01:47 PM   #6
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 1,342

Quote:
Do I spray on top of the straw or
Ayuh,..... As Nik says,.... Ya spray the Green you want gone,.......
Nik333 likes this.
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 06:56 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 672

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeniorSitizen View Post

Being there are more seeds just waiting for the right conditions for them to germinate spraying will not be a one time fix all.
A pre-emergent herbicial will stop many seeds from germinating. I use Barricade. It may not be available in all states. Check local gardening supplys.
wooleybooger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 09:57 AM   #8
RRH

Rewards Points: 1,332

First best time to spray is when temps above 60 degrees.

Roundup is ok but to work needs to be absorbed by the leaf blades of the plant. So no benefit to remove straw. But of course new seeds can germinate later.

When you spray best is to mix in a soil sterilant. Like Pramitol or Shara with roundup.

These two are absorbed in the soil to work and last average 6 months. Of course better to remove straw. But is it worth it every 6 months. I would spray over the straw and let the rain wash it into the soil.

Maybe even better would be to spray the soil sterilant and water it into the soil. And they seperate spray with roundup.
RRH is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RRH For This Useful Post:
nytimes770 (02-27-2019)
Old 03-07-2019, 08:25 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 5,580

@nytimes770 , I concur with @SeniorSitizen , @Nik333 , and @Bondo

But, in my long gardening experience, I must add:

Sounds like you had a lot of weeds and other stuff in the place you cleared. How were they cleared? If they were just pulled, you're bound to have seeds.
@Woolybooger's suggestion about pre-emergent is worth considering, but I've found the only real remedy is persistence, i.e., unrelenting bastardy against the weeds.

Use MORE pine needles. Six inches? A start. A FOOT is better. Remember that they'll rot faster than morals when it gets warm. If you had a lot of weeds, you have a lot of seeds, I promise.

Keep us apprised of what happens.

Last edited by DoomsDave; 03-07-2019 at 08:31 PM.
DoomsDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement