Filling Depressions In The Lawn - Gardening Forum - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care > Gardening Forum

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-19-2019, 07:07 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 78

Filling depressions in the lawn

I’ve got some lawn depressions from trees that were cut out years ago. I want to try to level these and have read that one way to do it is just fill them with dirt and the grass should grow through it. I’m kinda lazy and old, so feel this is the method for me. If I do this, does it matter what kind of dirt/soil to use? My so head some organic garden soil left over and said I could have it. Would that do, or should I use something else?

Thanks
TonyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2019, 07:38 PM   #2
Usually Confused

Rewards Points: 2,228

Re: Filling depressions in the lawn

I'd just buy some topsoil, lightly tamp it level and rake in some seed. If you later find it's still not completely level you could top dress it again a likely not need more seed. Topsoil is a mix of organic material with non-organic material - sand and clay. I would worry that pure organic garden soil is too rich and may break down over time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2019, 08:06 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,732

Not sure what you mean by "organic garden soil". If you mean compost or composted manure , you'd want to dilute it , maybe 4 parts regular topsoil (AKA DIRT ) to 1 part compost .

If you mean the bagged potting soil , it will grow the daintiest flowers & should be ok for grass .
dd57chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2019, 09:47 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 4,192

Grass will only grow through about and eight to quarter inch of dirt so plan to seed.
stick\shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 10:10 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 78

Thanks folks, appreciate it.
TonyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 06:14 AM   #6
retired painter

Rewards Points: 1,868

Ideally you'd cut out the sod, add soil and then replace the sod but as I get older I understand the value of taking the easy route. If going that way I'd either slowly add soil over time or level it off and seed.
mark sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 09:08 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 524

Yes, use a good top soil to get the area close to level. Once you rake it over after tamping, sow grass seed. Once the grass has grown, use sand to level out everything. I have started raking in sand over the entire yard and raking it in. That levels all ground perfectly. It will take approx 3 years to complete to have nice, smooth ground over the entire yard. My yard takes approx 75 tons of sand. I have it delivered and dumped all around in certain areas. Then I use a small wagon to be pulled behind a mower. I then use a rake of a thing that I built. I pull that behind the mower also. It works to rake in all the sand to some what level. Normal gravity, time and rain make it perfectly smooth and level. Golf courses use a very expensive pieces of equipment to preform this task. But that is how they get putting greens smooth and level.

Handy Andy In Mt Airy NC
HandyAndyInNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 11:16 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,210

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMan View Post
Iíve got some lawn depressions from trees that were cut out years ago. I want to try to level these and have read that one way to do it is just fill them with dirt and the grass should grow through it. Iím kinda lazy and old, so feel this is the method for me. If I do this, does it matter what kind of dirt/soil to use? My so head some organic garden soil left over and said I could have it. Would that do, or should I use something else?

Thanks

I have the same issue also caused by cutting a large tree last summer. I filled in the holes last year with top soil and grass seed but that didn't seem to work out very well. I still have the depressions in the lawn and have decided to get more top soil, fill the holes, tamp it down, and then put pieces of sod on top. I'm pretty sure that will fix the problem for good.

Last edited by Dave Sal; 05-20-2019 at 11:18 AM.
Dave Sal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 02:26 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandyAndyInNC View Post
Yes, use a good top soil to get the area close to level. Once you rake it over after tamping, sow grass seed. Once the grass has grown, use sand to level out everything. I have started raking in sand over the entire yard and raking it in. That levels all ground perfectly. It will take approx 3 years to complete to have nice, smooth ground over the entire yard. My yard takes approx 75 tons of sand. I have it delivered and dumped all around in certain areas. Then I use a small wagon to be pulled behind a mower. I then use a rake of a thing that I built. I pull that behind the mower also. It works to rake in all the sand to some what level. Normal gravity, time and rain make it perfectly smooth and level. Golf courses use a very expensive pieces of equipment to preform this task. But that is how they get putting greens smooth and level.

Would sand have weeds in it like some topsoil has?
diy_jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement