Dirt Leveling - Gardening Forum - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care > Gardening Forum

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-18-2015, 02:27 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 90

Dirt leveling

So this weekend I rented a tiller and broke the clay on my yard.

Now my biggest challenge is leveling the clay to make it less bumpy.
jesusq is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2015, 03:45 PM   #2
nap
You talking to me?

Rewards Points: 6,290

what is your end use intended.

You can use a rake behind a tractor, a screen drag (behind a tractor), or a box drag (behind a tractor), or a powered box screed (behind a tractor that has a PTO)

if you have not tilled enough it is going to be difficult to work it from where it is now as the clumps will be large. Tilling it more will tend to break up the clumps more and more.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2015, 03:52 PM   #3

Thanks,

The issue is that the yard is small for a tractor and too big for a rake.

I rented a tiller and dis a few passes as well as dropped four bags of gypsum. I tried taking a few 2x8x8 boards and creating a box but that did not work well.

My end result is to have a level grown where I could grow grass. I don't want to compact it down, because that would prevent the grow of grass
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2015, 03:59 PM   #4
nap
You talking to me?

well, as I said, make sure the ground is very well broken up will help working it further much easier.

Quote:
The issue is that the yard is small for a tractor and too big for a rake.
Um, so I have no suggestions if you cannot use a tractor nor would be willing to do it by hand. What did you have in mind here?
Old 03-18-2015, 04:04 PM   #5

like I said, I put a few 2x8x8 together and tried to rake it with that, but with no success. That's why I was posting this question here.

I'm sure there's someone out there that have a small yard as well who have tilled and level the ground.

I purcahse a smaller tiller "Mantis" and will be spreading more gypsum to break the soil down even more. My concern is how can I get it level after I re-till it?
Old 03-18-2015, 04:15 PM   #6
nap
You talking to me?

the choices I know of either involve a tractor or manual labor. You say the yard is too small for a tractor so that leaves manual labor...and nothing is too large for manual labor; the folks that built the pyramids proved that.
Old 03-18-2015, 05:24 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,550

Build a drag you can pull by hand like possibly 4 ft. long or a section of chain link fence with some weight on top.

The drag in the pictures are for building roads and have the 2 members parallel. The first was made by splitting a log, hence ( split log drag ).

To level dirt change the angle to look like an A with the A end open and one member off set longer.

Ole Blaze is down. Poor old fellow.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_road_drag
SeniorSitizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 06:24 PM   #8
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 1,344

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesusq View Post
like I said, I put a few 2x8x8 together and tried to rake it with that, but with no success. That's why I was posting this question here.

I'm sure there's someone out there that have a small yard as well who have tilled and level the ground.

I purcahse a smaller tiller "Mantis" and will be spreading more gypsum to break the soil down even more. My concern is how can I get it level after I re-till it?
Ayuh,... Got any pictures,..??

If yer still seein' Chunks, yer not done tillin' yet,....

Once ya get it beat into fine soil, ya shovel off the high spots into a wheelbarrow, 'n dump it into the low spots,....
Then knock it all 'round with a garden rake, for the final Tunin' before ya seed, 'n roll it,....

'n ya Don't want it Level,.... Level don't drain,....
Ya need Pitch, from a high point, to where ya can get rid of the surface water,...
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement