Dear [Deity] Spare Me From The Weeds Of Doom - Gardening Forum - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care > Gardening Forum

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree8Likes

Old 06-18-2019, 09:56 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 5,532

Dear [Deity] Spare me from the Weeds of Doom

I did a thread on plants you willingly let into your garden, then regret, and some weeds that no one would ever buy kind of crept in.

So what weed(s) do you really dread? Wake up screaming in the night at the thought of?

My [least] favorite in that area is Nut Sedge, at least so far. There's a whole horrible genus of them, Cyperus, and I've got it, and while it's not like getting cancer, it's pretty bad nevertheless.

It's a plant specially designed by Who Ever to be spread by "good gardening practices" of "cultivation" i.e., using a hoe to dig up weeds. Pulling it up is a waste of time, and glyphosate won't work well, either. There's herbicides meant for use, anyone have any experience?

There's a species that can be eaten! How's that for irony? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyperus_esculentus
Attached Thumbnails
Dear [Deity] Spare me from the Weeds of Doom-800px-cyperus_esculentus_nrcs-1.jpg   Dear [Deity] Spare me from the Weeds of Doom-1280px-cyperus_esculentus_tubers.jpg  
DoomsDave is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2019, 11:51 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 7,518

Re: Dear [Deity] Spare me from the Weeds of Doom

I have some nutsedge. In Ontario, just about any weedkiller that actually works, is illegal. So I use needle-nose pliers. Its a battle, but I'm winning.
SPS-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2019, 12:20 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPS-1 View Post
I have some nutsedge. In Ontario, just about any weedkiller that actually works, is illegal. So I use needle-nose pliers. Its a battle, but I'm winning.
YIKE, I hope you don't have acres or hectares of the stuff!

One method I've found that does work, if you can do it, is to lay cardboard on the nutsedge, then wait. It smothers then dies. Trouble is, I'm not completely sure how long that takes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2019, 01:57 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 394

Put a tight fence around the nutsedge and turn in several pigs. They love the nuts and tubers and will eradicate the patch in short order.
Fought the stuff for decades while farming peanuts in central Texas. Chemicals were a waste of time and money.
Put all my acreage in Coastal Bermuda and it has retarded the development of the nutsedge, Yellow nutsedge can be killed with chemicals, but purple nutsedge just shrugs off the pesticides.
Best of luck!

RR
Rough Rooster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 02:03 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rough Rooster View Post
Put a tight fence around the nutsedge and turn in several pigs. They love the nuts and tubers and will eradicate the patch in short order.
Fought the stuff for decades while farming peanuts in central Texas. Chemicals were a waste of time and money.
Put all my acreage in Coastal Bermuda and it has retarded the development of the nutsedge, Yellow nutsedge can be killed with chemicals, but purple nutsedge just shrugs off the pesticides.
Best of luck!

RR
I'm in the city, so I can't keep the four-legged hogs, though they'll let me have the two-wheeled kind . . . . .
Old 06-18-2019, 02:28 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 4,170

I was 45 when I bought the house I'm in currently and, though I'd heard of it previously, it's the first time I've had to battle creeping charlie. The biggest issue is that two of my neighbors refuse to do anything about it in their yard so I'm constantly battling infiltration from those directions.
stick\shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 02:23 PM   #7

Anyone have trouble with baby volunteer trees?
Old 06-19-2019, 02:50 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,814

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick\shift View Post
I was 45 when I bought the house I'm in currently and, though I'd heard of it previously, it's the first time I've had to battle creeping charlie. The biggest issue is that two of my neighbors refuse to do anything about it in their yard so I'm constantly battling infiltration from those directions.
For Creeping Charlie, you can use good old 20 Mule Team Borax.
For 500 feet, dissolve 5 oz of Borax in 2 oz of warm water and dilute with 1.25 gallons of water. For best results, apply the Borax weed killer when the creeping Charlie weed is actively growing in the fall. Just be careful, you don't want a build-up of Boron in your soil.

Another product to use is TriMec. It can't be used in gardens like Borax, as it will kill anything broadleaf it comes in contact with. But, it is okay on most turf grasses. Apply in the fall when most grasses are going dormant. That is when they are moving food sources into their root systems.

One of the best ways to prevent most weeds is to provide a healthy environment for the major "Crop" to grow. Which in this case is lawn turf. Make the soil as healthy as you can and the grass will crowd out most everything else.
jbrah and DoomsDave like this.
ktownskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 12:09 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 130

In my area Florida Betony can be a nightmare. According to my local state agriculture office, it's a form of mint. The leaves do look a little like mint. The roots of it grow tubers that look like little white carrots. I've been trying to get it out of my lawn, garden and flower beds for 5 years with much luck.
mrlabradog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 02:56 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlabradog View Post
In my area Florida Betony can be a nightmare. According to my local state agriculture office, it's a form of mint. The leaves do look a little like mint. The roots of it grow tubers that look like little white carrots. I've been trying to get it out of my lawn, garden and flower beds for 5 years with much luck.
According to this, the tubers are edible and good!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stachys_floridana
Old 09-09-2019, 01:39 PM   #11
Just too cute to eat.

Rewards Points: 14

We planted Dillweed is some of our potted plants in our driveway two years ago. We didn't replant anything, and barely touched the pots between years. The Dill keeps popping back up over and over again without intervention. We cleaned out one pot, and the root system took over the whole entire pot. I cut the stem, dumped the pot upside-down in a wheelbarrow, and you could barely recognize any actual dirt at all. I shook the whole structure out to get the dirt out, and was left with a ball of tiny, tiny thread-like roots the size of my head. I was super-impressed.

We also have Dill plants growing in the cracks of our driveway now. They're spreading. ^_^

Well. You know what that means.
Nik333 likes this.
ShadowTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 02:50 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowTiger View Post
We planted Dillweed is some of our potted plants in our driveway two years ago. We didn't replant anything, and barely touched the pots between years. The Dill keeps popping back up over and over again without intervention. We cleaned out one pot, and the root system took over the whole entire pot. I cut the stem, dumped the pot upside-down in a wheelbarrow, and you could barely recognize any actual dirt at all. I shook the whole structure out to get the dirt out, and was left with a ball of tiny, tiny thread-like roots the size of my head. I was super-impressed.

We also have Dill plants growing in the cracks of our driveway now. They're spreading. ^_^

Well. You know what that means.
Yeppers, and mint can be like that, too! And good, too.
ShadowTiger likes this.
Old 09-09-2019, 08:19 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 868

Spotted a pretty flowering vine which a gardener friend warned me was invasive. ‘Cats Paw’. I have to dig up the tubers but havent had time
Dear [Deity] Spare me from the Weeds of Doom-3b2bb445-fb66-472f-9dcc-0f7974124bee.png

Last edited by Startingover; 09-09-2019 at 08:35 PM.
Startingover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 08:41 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 1,858

I am one of those people that no longer has the money or physical ability to keep fighting for a beautiful yard. At our present home four years ago when we moved in it, the yards were nothing but weeds. Full of Creeping Charlie, crabgrass, Nutsedge, white clover, buttercups, Bermuda grass, along with many sorts of natures other greenery.

So I tilled all of our yards up and did the complete seed/fertilizer/straw job in early Sept. of 2015 and in 2016, we had really nice yards. I had seeded them with the top brand name fine lawn fescue (and $$$) that came highly recommended, from my local farm supply store.

Over the years now the FLF has died back and now I am just letting it return back to nature. Our yards are all weeds now in 2019, but at least they are green and not mud.
Startingover and DoomsDave like this.

Last edited by Gregsoldtruck79; 09-10-2019 at 05:59 PM.
Gregsoldtruck79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 08:52 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregsoldtruck79 View Post
I am one of those people that no longer has the money or physical ability to keep fighting for a beautiful yard. At our present home four years ago when we moved in it, the yards were nothing but weeds. Full of Creeping Charlie, crabgrass, Nutsedge, white clover, buttercups, Bermuda grass, along with many sorts of natures other greenery.

So I tilled all of our yards up and did the complete seed/fertilizer/straw job in early Sept. of 2015 and in 2016, we had really nice yards. I had seeded them with the top brand name fine lawn fescue (and $$$) that came highly recommended, from my local farm supply store.

Over the years now the FLF has died back and now I am just letting it return back to nature. Our yards are all weeds now in 2019, but at least they are green and not mud.
That second picture looks like one of those Elizabethan greenswards, where couples frolic through the flowers, then make out under a tree . . . .
Gregsoldtruck79 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement