Compost - Gardening Forum - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care > Gardening Forum

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By cat's_pajamas
  • 1 Post By Two Knots

Old 08-20-2018, 11:51 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 24

compost

I am getting ready to clean off my garden and I am planning on putting all of the dead vines and plants on my compost pile. I know that I should not put tomato plants that show signs of blight but is there anything else that should not go on the compost?
airlifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2018, 05:29 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 576

Re: compost

The theory is that if you can get your pile hot enough (maybe 150 degrees or more) the pathogens will be killed. No doubt others will chime in.....
Cedrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2018, 05:32 PM   #3
Retired Handyman/Painter

Rewards Points: 1,232

Google will give you some very good tips:

https://www.planetnatural.com/compos...e-maintenance/

Johnny_inFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2018, 06:21 PM   #4
Likes to learn

Quote:
Originally Posted by airlifter View Post
I know that I should not put tomato plants that show signs of blight [into the compost pile] but is there anything else that should not go on the compost?
As Johnny mentioned, you can find a lot of information on composting by Googling. The below link has a very handy "Do Compost" "Don't Compost" list side-by-side, which includes plants/weeds/grasses that should not be composted. I'm assuming you know the usual do-not-compost: meat, dairy, bones.
http://www.homecompostingmadeeasy.co...tocompost.html

I have a low-maintenance compost bin. I don't bother turning it or messing with it too much. I just add my coffee grounds, vegetable/fruit scraps, eggshells, and cover with some leaves and other stuff from a pile near the bin and keep it damp in the summer. I did make the mistake of putting too many pine needles in it -- they take forever to break down.

Below are a couple photos from last August/September of all the "volunteers" that sprouted in my bin. Mostly potato vine, but I was surprised by the squash plant which turned out to be a mini-pumpkin vine. I had thrown in two mini-pumpkins from the market after displaying them in the Fall of 2016 and forgot I had put them in the bin. I ended up with two mini-pumpkins last year (photo below) from the vine that grew out of the compost bin, and then threw those in the bin last December. There is a new squash vine growing, so maybe I'll get a couple more mini-pumpkins!

compost-compost-bin-august-2017.jpg

compost-squash-blossoms.png

compost-mini-pumpkins.png
SeniorSitizen likes this.

Last edited by cat's_pajamas; 08-20-2018 at 06:25 PM.
cat's_pajamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 12:46 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 4,204

Pine needles (conifers) inhibit the growth of other plants. There's a compound in them. I remember noticing this as a kid. No weeds under the pines.
Nik333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 07:01 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 4,155

We put everything in our compost pile except meat, chicken, fish etc...
I have a Tupperware container under my sink so that I can put in all
my fruit and veggie scraps, coffee, egg shells, etc...When it gets full
we turn it into the compost pile.

The compost pile also provides an abundance of earth worms that
we feed to our pond fish. They love the earth worms.
We also mix 'some' of the rich compost soil in our flower pots and
our flower gardens.
Two Knots is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 09:21 AM   #7
Likes to learn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Knots View Post
I have a Tupperware container under my sink so that I can put in all
my fruit and veggie scraps, coffee, egg shells, etc...When it gets full
we turn it into the compost pile.
Ditto. Although I'm not sure why I felt the need to write "Compost" in permanent marker on the lid. As if I would mistake it for something else...

Quote:
The compost pile also provides an abundance of earth worms that
we feed to our pond fish. They love the earth worms.
We also mix 'some' of the rich compost soil in our flower pots and
our flower gardens.
As I've been digging my retaining wall trench, I now and then come across an earthworm that I then carry to its new home...the compost bin.

Old 08-21-2018, 09:28 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 4,155

cat, I keep a small plastic bag in the container so that I can just pick up
the bag and it's ready to travel to the compost pile.

I write on my Tupperware too ...sharpies are your friend.
cat's_pajamas likes this.
Two Knots is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 09:37 AM   #9
Likes to learn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik333 View Post
Pine needles (conifers) inhibit the growth of other plants. There's a compound in them. I remember noticing this as a kid. No weeds under the pines.

All I knew about pine needles was that they are very acidic and that they take a long time to decompose (found the website linked below this morning and learned a whole bunch of stuff about pine needles). I do know that when I got the compost bin in April of 2015, I filled it to the top with pine needles (with some Black Oak leaves inbetween layers). The last owner of this place hadn't raked the pine needles in years and I thought that the compost bin would be a good place to get rid of them. I then started adding my regular compost stuff from the kitchen. I think the volunteer plants grew so abundantly in the bin because there was a nice thick layer of good composting stuff above the pine needles. When I had to take apart the compost bin last October because I thought it might get hit by a tree that was being cut down, there were still a LOT of pine needles from way back in 2015. When I reassembled the bin and re-filled it, I only used a small amount of pine needles.

https://laidbackgardener.blog/tag/ar...eedles-acidic/

Old 08-21-2018, 10:41 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,468

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat's_pajamas View Post
Ditto. Although I'm not sure why I felt the need to write "Compost" in permanent marker on the lid. As if I would mistake it for something else...

As I've been digging my retaining wall trench, I now and then come across an earthworm that I then carry to its new home...the compost bin.

I know why you wrote "compost" on the lid. I know this because I was acquainted with a person that saved all the nails, nuts, bolts and miscellaneous, that may be useful sometime, in pound coffee cans. Hell yes what was needed was in the last one you removed the lid from but if there was a dozen cans it was always in can N0.11 or No. 12.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 11:37 AM   #11
Likes to learn

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeniorSitizen View Post
I know why you wrote "compost" on the lid. I know this because I was acquainted with a person that saved all the nails, nuts, bolts and miscellaneous, that may be useful sometime, in pound coffee cans. Hell yes what was needed was in the last one you removed the lid from but if there was a dozen cans it was always in can N0.11 or No. 12.

I do need to separate the various nuts/bolts/washers/screws that I have all mixed-up in a couple of jars. Now, I just dump out the jars and pick through stuff. I do think my labeling "fixation" might be a separate...um..."issue". I have a large clear zip-lock bag in my freezer where I put things like left-over cat food, meat bones/pieces, paper towels I've used to wipe out greasy pans/dishes, and other things that can get stinky if you just throw them in the trash can. So, I freeze them until trash pick-up day. It is obvious when you look at the bag that it has trash in it, but I still label it "trash".

Old 12-11-2018, 01:46 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 5,506

I compost, so I am.

Some kinds of plants shouldn't go in the compost pile, particularly weeds like Purple Nut Sedge, Bindweed, etc. Make it your business to know what they look like and avoid putting them in the pile.

It's true that piles can get hot and kill stuff, but the heat isn't always enough all through and you may get some bindweed, for example, that makes it through and back into your garden.
DoomsDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 10:10 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 4,204

Error

Last edited by Nik333; 12-13-2018 at 10:16 PM.
Nik333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement