Clay Soil Amendments; Have You Seen This? - Gardening Forum - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care > Gardening Forum

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-05-2015, 10:02 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 2,038

clay soil amendments; have you seen this?

Hello to all,

It was highly recommended that I amend my clay "soil" w two diff products: dried molasses and cotton-seed-meal. The term "soil" here is really an insult. I this part of TX, the top 4-5 feet can be made of a very nasty clay or "gumbo-soil" as it's called.

We had our backyard landscaped, and the amt of topsoil used to prepare the beds by landscaper was way less than I thought. a couple inches of mulch were applied on the top after the plants were installed, so I could not see how much soil was used.

we had a lot of rain in winter, May & June, now 35+ days of ZERO rain and the heat is 100+, so we are watering a lot but this crappy soil is getting real hard. It was recommended to mix a combination of dried molasses and c-seed meal and then turn or mix into top 2-4 inches. I did so and watered heavily. The next evening after sun all day, it had a pretty strong smell, not pleasant. Is this common of this amendment process? Has anyone done this before?

I saw the results of another process like this and the plants just really took off big-time. Cannot get a hold of those folks bc they are gone for summer, so thought I would post it here.

Thank you,
tstex
tstex is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2015, 03:30 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 7,015

I have not. I would only be concerned if the smell lasted more than a week. Frsh mulch always stinks for a few days.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement