Is 120ppm Salt Consider High? - Gardening Forum - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care > Gardening Forum

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By dannieboiz

Old 05-06-2017, 06:35 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 640

is 120ppm salt consider high?

We have a water softener and I think our plumbing is jacked up by the installer somehow. My plants are dying everywhere. I'm assuming salt is the culprit.

So I tested house water as well as all garden hoses and I'm reading 120ppm of salt. Measuring it against R/O water I get less than 10ppm.
dannieboiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2017, 07:28 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 898

Re: is 120ppm salt consider high?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannieboiz View Post
We have a water softener and I think our plumbing is jacked up by the installer somehow. My plants are dying everywhere. I'm assuming salt is the culprit.

So I tested house water as well as all garden hoses and I'm reading 120ppm of salt. Measuring it against R/O water I get less than 10ppm.

That's the same as 120 mg per liter of water. One serving of potato chips has about 200 mg of sodium.
BIG Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2017, 07:39 PM   #3
Remodel and New Build GC

Rewards Points: 2,224

Basically, Don't fertilize your lawn with potato chips....

Not sure of your water softner set up.... they are kinda/brand new to me, but mine has an adjustable degree of softening, that I would suppose will cut down on salt.

I have been jacking it back and just see how it feels in the shower.
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2017, 07:46 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 640

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTN REMODEL LLC View Post
Basically, Don't fertilize your lawn with potato chips....

Not sure of your water softner set up.... they are kinda/brand new to me, but mine has an adjustable degree of softening, that I would suppose will cut down on salt.

I have been jacking it back and just see how it feels in the shower.
You mean I can eat off my lawn anymore? that would suck!

I have the old school analog softener. I'm going to test my neighbor's water to see their reading. Maybe we're being fed seawater by the city and they're not saying it.
MTN REMODEL LLC likes this.
dannieboiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 08:40 PM   #5
Usually Confused

Rewards Points: 2,156

I'm not a chemist but the I think the sodium present in softened water is not actually salt (sodium chloride) but a variation, since softeners exchange sodium for calcium and magnesium in the hard water by an exchange of ions (imbalance of electrons). Having said that, I have no clue what the actual difference is or the effect on us or plants. The amount of sodium introduced into the water is directly proportional to the hardness of the raw water, so I think you need to do some tests and perhaps dial your softener down to match your raw water.

Many softener installations, including ours, bypass the outside taps as well as the kitchen cold. However, the missus will often water the plants from the laundry sink with no apparent ill effects.
lenaitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 05:50 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 6,074

Being on city water you could visit their office and I'm sure they have a complete list of what is in the water they are sending to you and probably some suggestions as to what you are experiencing. They handle a lot of questions and are tightly regulated. They might even test a sample for you.

Bud
Bud9051 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 12:22 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 40

Your outdoor faucets or any sprinkler system should be on a separate pipe from the softened water. If you continue to have an issue switch to potassium (more expensive). Is your water very hard to begin with? If it is not make sure you are using the right setting for regeneration to avoid putting excessive sodium into the softened water. Also make sure you are not wasting salt (and water) by regenerating too frequently for your usage (solved by demand softeners or proper calculations based on your usage data).

Last edited by gapotts; 05-07-2017 at 12:25 PM.
gapotts is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement