Water Damage To Wall Next To Glass Shower Door - Drywall & Plaster - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By chakangt

Old 04-01-2019, 04:55 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 8

Water Damage to wall next to glass shower door

We bought a house 2 years ago and the wall was repaired for sale. 2 years later we are getting water damage at the wall next to the shower. I recaulked but we continue to have an issue. I think that water is getting behind the caulk, and then draining over the lip at the front corner (where the damage is).

When I stuck a level on the tub, it seemed to be tilted correctly so water would run back into the tub from the lip.

Thoughts on the repair? just replace the drywall and paint? I've heard from folks that drywall shouldn't be that close to a glass shower door. Any thoughts on how to eliminate the problem? should I create a caulk dam at the edge to keep water from draining over the edge and onto the drywall?

I don't believe water is running down the shower tile and past the edging on the door, but I could be wrong.

(if you click on the pictures, it seems they rotate to the right orientation)

Thank you for your thoughts!
Attached Thumbnails
Water Damage to wall next to glass shower door-img_7368.jpg   Water Damage to wall next to glass shower door-img_7367.jpg   Water Damage to wall next to glass shower door-img_7366.jpg  

Last edited by chakangt; 04-01-2019 at 05:06 PM.
chakangt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2019, 05:30 PM   #2
retired framer

Rewards Points: 14,102

Re: Water Damage to wall next to glass shower door

If water is getting behind the tile and in the lip on the back of the tub, that is where it would come out. Often you see another 6" of tile down that side.
There is a clear vinyl trim you can put in the corner to seal the door to tile.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/DreamLine-8...ing/1000498581
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2019, 05:47 AM   #3
retired painter

Rewards Points: 540

Is the track on the tile caulked?
Drywall is installed that close to tile all the time without issues. Once the water is stopped so will the damage.
mark sr is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2019, 02:21 PM   #4

Thanks Nealtw. The door already has weather stripping on it, which moves with the door as it opens and closes. It seems like the vinly product you mentioned would probably be useful on a non-moving part... but I'm not sure I see it on a moving edge (my apologies for not including a picture in the "open" position,

So really, I just need to chase down how the water is getting back there, whether through the existing silicone, or elsewhere (maybe slow leak in the diverter somehow...)

it also sounds like to chase down that leak, I shoule probably remove that drywall so I have access.
Nealtw likes this.
Old 04-02-2019, 02:24 PM   #5

Mark Sr., There is a weatherstripping on the tile side of the door that is pretty similar to this...

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Showerdo...BS36/205438352
Old 04-03-2019, 07:45 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 238

Is there top of the bathtub tilted toward the wall? If so it just seems water is going into the tile through the grout and draining that direction...
Sdiver2489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 12:46 PM   #7

@Sdiver- the last time I checked it seemed to. I'll check again. I'm trying to remember if the tub was caulked empty or full of water... as that may have led to the separation of the caulk and water getting underneath/behind it and running over the corner edge. I can tell you on further inspection that the bottom lip (where the caulk meets the tub) is not a tight seal in some places... so I'm going to recaulk this weekend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
damage , leak , shower , water