Wall Rock Hung From Bottom Up?? - Drywall & Plaster - Page 2 - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree13Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes
Old 03-29-2019, 03:20 PM   #16
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North Carolina, USA
Posts: 4,644
Rewards Points: 5,530
Default

Re: Wall rock hung from bottom up??


Quote:
Originally Posted by Domo View Post
Top down, always. Others, you'll end up with a cut edge either in the middle or at the top where you're going to mud.

This isn't necessarily really the issue, assuming you measured first. Presumably if the wall were for some reason shorter than 96" (which it shouldn't be), then you should figure that out ahead of time and cut the bottom piece to fit before installing. Then the cut edge still goes on the bottom, under the baseboard.
jeffnc is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-29-2019, 03:30 PM   #17
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 201
Rewards Points: 44
Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by Domo View Post
Top down, always. Others, you'll end up with a cut edge either in the middle or at the top where you're going to mud.

A man or large women, can lift a 4X8 sheet and push it tight to the ceiling, hold it and set two screws with the other hand. Granted, as I got older, I'd start the screws before lifting the panel.

Obviously, having a helper makes it much faster.

The goal is to support the ceiling at the edges and give a tight joint while providing clean, uncut, edges to the next panel.

Staggered panels is also the norm, as done by professionals, since one common goal of all construction trades is to NEVER line up the ends of material.

Sadly, after I started hanging rock 38 years ago, and getting taught by some tough French-Canadians, this fellow was taught wrong.

I'd also be interested if he knows the approved nailing/screw patterns to use...
I know he is following the screw pattern that is marked on the sheetrock boards. Not sure if that it's supposed to be the same that used in ceilings or more screw should go up there? And like I said I insisted on doing the Stagger joints. He finally said well it's your house so we'll do it how you want but just know that it's wrong.

On a positive note he's really good with the Rotozip. He doesn't always go around counterclockwise but he makes it look pretty clean. He starts counter-clockwise on the inside but then cleans it up going in the opposite direction around the outside perimeter of the boxes.
Attached Thumbnails
Wall rock hung from bottom up??-photostudio_1553891369356_1553891392966.jpg  
RetroJoe_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-29-2019, 11:51 PM   #18
Contractor/Engineer
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Desert Hot Springs, CA
Posts: 519
Rewards Points: 1,036
Default

Re: Wall rock hung from bottom up??


Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnc View Post
This isn't necessarily really the issue, assuming you measured first. Presumably if the wall were for some reason shorter than 96" (which it shouldn't be), then you should figure that out ahead of time and cut the bottom piece to fit before installing. Then the cut edge still goes on the bottom, under the baseboard.
Correct, the issue is that the fellow is installing it wrong. Sorry I distracted everyone by throwing in the possibility of a cut edge being less than desirable in the field of the wall. Granted, the worker can do additional work and calculation to cut the bottom piece so that the whole upper piece can fit perfectly - however, additional work and adding more possible errors to the job are certainly not the point, either.

We're talking about hanging sheetrock quickly and efficiently, not rocket science. Back in the day, my boss used to say (about sheetrock); "Stop thinking about it - we could have the job done already."

Last edited by Domo; 03-29-2019 at 11:54 PM.
Domo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-30-2019, 09:54 AM   #19
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North Carolina, USA
Posts: 4,644
Rewards Points: 5,530
Default

Re: Wall rock hung from bottom up??


Quote:
Originally Posted by Domo View Post
We're talking about hanging sheetrock quickly and efficiently, not rocket science. Back in the day, my boss used to say (about sheetrock); "Stop thinking about it - we could have the job done already."

Yes, this is like what golf teachers teach. You should be thinking about changes to your swing on the driving range, not the course. When you play, you should be thinking about your shot, not your swing. The time to talk about changing your technique and learning new things is here on the forum, etc., not on a job. And homeowners should not be the ones teaching the pros
jeffnc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 11:08 AM   #20
Contractor/Engineer
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Desert Hot Springs, CA
Posts: 519
Rewards Points: 1,036
Default

Re: Wall rock hung from bottom up??


Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnc View Post
Yes, this is like what golf teachers teach. You should be thinking about changes to your swing on the driving range, not the course. When you play, you should be thinking about your shot, not your swing. The time to talk about changing your technique and learning new things is here on the forum, etc., not on a job. And homeowners should not be the ones teaching the pros
I heartily agree - I'm amazed and amused by some of the questions that are posted and quickly realize that the folks really never had the chance to learn any trade and do need the best help we can give.
Domo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 11:42 AM   #21
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 3
Rewards Points: 6
Default

Re: Wall rock hung from bottom up??


Been doing sheetrock for about 45 years- never did it from the bottom up, and always staggered the joints unless it was something very weird.
chrisso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 04:55 PM   #22
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Eastern Ohio
Posts: 17
Rewards Points: 34
Default

Re: Wall rock hung from bottom up??


Everyone I know goes bottom up. Yep you get a place to hold the next sheet on when hanging.
I've never seen top down.
Unless it's a weird wall height, it should be pretty close to tight..
Besides that is what trim/moulding it for as well.

I built plenty of houses in my younger days...
cynic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 05:21 PM   #23
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North Carolina, USA
Posts: 4,644
Rewards Points: 5,530
Default

Re: Wall rock hung from bottom up??


Oh, so you're the guy who built the houses where the owners keep hiring me to fix stuff!!


With a crew of 2 or more, you don't need a ledge to hang your drywall on. If "everyone" you know goes bottom up and you've "never seen" top down, then you hardly know anyone and you don't get out much


Y'all, read page 13.
https://www.usg.com/content/dam/USG_...de-en-J371.pdf


I swear, the cliche is really true - no one ever reads the effing manual.
Domo likes this.
jeffnc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 03:07 AM   #24
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 201
Rewards Points: 44
Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
Been doing sheetrock for about 45 years- never did it from the bottom up, and always staggered the joints unless it was something very weird.
Just wanted to update everybody that I insisted on him hanging it from the top down with me. He actually likes it better than his original process that he said he was used to doing of going from the bottom up.

As I mentioned in my original post, all of the sheetrock installers I have known always went from the top down. Since my house is 90 years old some of the joists in the ceiling have settled so they're not perfectly flat or level. Using a laser level we set that at 48 in and then measure up to the ceiling. So for example if we are putting up a 12 foot sheet and on one side of the room it is at 48 in to the ceiling but then we get to the other side and it's actually 47, we will transcribe that and cut it out from the top of the sheetrock. When we push it up against the ceiling we are still perfectly level and the sheetrock is scribed to the angle of the drop in the ceiling. Any little gaps are hidden after we put the bottom sheet on by the baseboard.

Where possible I've used the longer boards to eliminate any butt joints across the room. Some of the sheets we are using are 14 ft long and 5/8 of an inch thick. They are heavy enough that between the two of us it's still very awkward to hold up against the ceiling and screw. So I built a couple of shelves with a 2 by 3 and a 1 by 4 on the flat that we temporarily set just below the 48 inch mark from the ceiling by screwing to the studs. Once we lift the sheet up we set it on the Shelf and then use our drywall lift pedals on the Shelf to push it up tight. We've got a routine now so we go around the room getting all of the top sheets on first and then the bottom just goes quickly.

I've also insisted that we stagger the joints. So far we've got everything on the bottom floor completed except for the living room and the foyer. It's looking great and the taper is going to love us. My plumber actually came in to do some work not knowing that we were doing the hanging and asked who the sheetrockers were because "they are tight." Made me feel like we are doing a pretty good job so far. Not bad for a first-time installer I think. Thanks again for all the input!
Attached Thumbnails
Wall rock hung from bottom up??-photostudio_1554364702467_1554364853054.jpg   Wall rock hung from bottom up??-photostudio_1554364808016_1554364866714.jpg  
Nealtw likes this.

Last edited by RetroJoe_1; 04-04-2019 at 03:12 AM.
RetroJoe_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 07:48 PM   #25
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North Carolina, USA
Posts: 4,644
Rewards Points: 5,530
Default

Re: Wall rock hung from bottom up??


Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroJoe_1 View Post
Since my house is 90 years old some of the joists in the ceiling have settled so they're not perfectly flat or level. Using a laser level we set that at 48 in and then measure up to the ceiling. So for example if we are putting up a 12 foot sheet and on one side of the room it is at 48 in to the ceiling but then we get to the other side and it's actually 47, we will transcribe that and cut it out from the top of the sheetrock. When we push it up against the ceiling we are still perfectly level and the sheetrock is scribed to the angle of the drop in the ceiling.

That sounds good.


Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroJoe_1 View Post

Where possible I've used the longer boards to eliminate any butt joints across the room. Some of the sheets we are using are 14 ft long and 5/8 of an inch thick. They are heavy enough that between the two of us it's still very awkward to hold up against the ceiling and screw.

I can imagine. Looks like you needed my solo ledger board even for 2 of you!
jeffnc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 03:20 PM   #26
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 18
Rewards Points: 36
Default

Re: Wall rock hung from bottom up??


Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroJoe_1 View Post
Just wanted to update everybody that I insisted on him hanging it from the top down with me. He actually likes it better than his original process that he said he was used to doing of going from the bottom up.

As I mentioned in my original post, all of the sheetrock installers I have known always went from the top down. Since my house is 90 years old some of the joists in the ceiling have settled so they're not perfectly flat or level. Using a laser level we set that at 48 in and then measure up to the ceiling. So for example if we are putting up a 12 foot sheet and on one side of the room it is at 48 in to the ceiling but then we get to the other side and it's actually 47, we will transcribe that and cut it out from the top of the sheetrock. When we push it up against the ceiling we are still perfectly level and the sheetrock is scribed to the angle of the drop in the ceiling. Any little gaps are hidden after we put the bottom sheet on by the baseboard.

Where possible I've used the longer boards to eliminate any butt joints across the room. Some of the sheets we are using are 14 ft long and 5/8 of an inch thick. They are heavy enough that between the two of us it's still very awkward to hold up against the ceiling and screw. So I built a couple of shelves with a 2 by 3 and a 1 by 4 on the flat that we temporarily set just below the 48 inch mark from the ceiling by screwing to the studs. Once we lift the sheet up we set it on the Shelf and then use our drywall lift pedals on the Shelf to push it up tight. We've got a routine now so we go around the room getting all of the top sheets on first and then the bottom just goes quickly.

I've also insisted that we stagger the joints. So far we've got everything on the bottom floor completed except for the living room and the foyer. It's looking great and the taper is going to love us. My plumber actually came in to do some work not knowing that we were doing the hanging and asked who the sheetrockers were because "they are tight." Made me feel like we are doing a pretty good job so far. Not bad for a first-time installer I think. Thanks again for all the input!
Glad he came around to your way of thinking since he's done it wrong for 40yrs. There's only 1 situation in residential construction where we hang from the bottom up.
finisher65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 03:34 PM   #27
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North Carolina, USA
Posts: 4,644
Rewards Points: 5,530
Default

Re: Wall rock hung from bottom up??


Quote:
Originally Posted by finisher65 View Post
There's only 1 situation in residential construction where we hang from the bottom up.

Oh god, the suspense is killing us....
jeffnc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 03:55 PM   #28
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 18
Rewards Points: 36
Default

Re: Wall rock hung from bottom up??


Lol! Walls that terminate into the peak of cathedral & vaulted ceilings,
finisher65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Replace bottom of 20ft high wall with cinderblock Cigal Building & Construction 8 11-17-2017 10:06 PM
Need Some Advice About A House With An Issue neutropia General DIY Discussions 7 01-29-2017 06:46 AM
Load Bearing Wall? Master Brian Building & Construction 3 06-05-2015 10:32 PM
Building a half wall: 2 questions kbizzle Carpentry 7 02-19-2011 08:22 AM
Bottom Plate for Non-Load Bearing Wall cobrakai Carpentry 2 02-08-2011 11:56 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts