Potential Mirror On The Wall Disaster - Drywall & Plaster - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-20-2020, 10:18 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Potential mirror on the wall disaster

Good morning everyone. Trust all is well with you guys and everyone is safe. So basically, I have a 30lb mirror that we would like to install in our apartment. Howver, where we would like to hang it and, actually the best place for it, is being hindered by a beam being directly behind the drywall. Ignorantly, I'll admit, I tried a grand total of (3) times and to no avail. I used different anchors, different picture hanging purchases, but nothing has worked. I need someone who has knowledge of hanging heavy objects on walls to please lend me a hand here.

What can I use to hang this piece up securely.

Thank you in advance for all help and suggestions. Really thank you.

Sincerely,
Anthony Dunn
Attached Thumbnails
Potential mirror on the wall disaster-img_1407.jpg   Potential mirror on the wall disaster-img_1408.jpg   Potential mirror on the wall disaster-img_1409.jpg   Potential mirror on the wall disaster-img_1404.jpg   Potential mirror on the wall disaster-img_1405.jpg  

Potential mirror on the wall disaster-img_1406.jpg  
Boogie560 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2020, 10:38 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 5,664

Re: Potential mirror on the wall disaster

A decorative wooden shelf attached to wall studs for the mirror to rest on is what i would do, but there are so many ideas of what one wants something to look a certain way that probably isn't an option.
SeniorSitizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2020, 12:23 PM   #3
Usually Confused

Rewards Points: 1,800

Is the drywall directly on the beam or is there any kind of space between them? If so, how much.

Custodis pacis
lenaitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2020, 02:00 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Its not necessarily pressed up against it. There seems to be like 3 or 4 inches behind it.
Boogie560 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 07:12 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 976

Use a couple toggle bolts a couple inches apart. Attach a wire on each side of the mirror. Hang said mirror over the bolt heads. I would use a large washer on the front side of the toggle bolt to give extra support.

Drywall is such cheap crap, quick and easy to install, but is not good for anything else. I love houses with lathe and plaster every where. Higher resistance value then sheetrock, no organic material for mold to feed on, etc..... No matter where you drill into the plaster, you always hit solid wood behind it. And then there is a picture rail, which is installed most of the time.

Why do you think sheetrock wall and ceilings have a textured finish? It is because there are few craftsmen left that can trowel on plaster and make it flat and smooth. Today, houses are built fast, and without care as how things look or work. An average house can be build in as little as 5 - 6 months beginning to move-in date. The victorian houses that we have, took on average of 4 - 5 years to complete. Great attention to detail is what took the time. And they are all still standing today. Over 110 - 135 years old.

Handy Andy In Mt Airy NC
HandyAndyInNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 09:09 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 3,766

If it's really drywall, there's nothing wrong with these:

huesmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 11:40 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 56

Either a hanging heavy object or mirror on the wall is not simple. Here is a video showing how to do it properly. I hope it helps.
rmoore853 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement